+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Bilsteins, still bumpy

New Bilsteins, still bumpy

Hey folks,
    My old shocks were crapped out, at 150,000. I know I should have replaced them before now, but what are ya gonna do? Hard bumps, bouncing of the wheels on big bumps, loose traction on bumps, etc.

Replaced with Bilstein 4600's. 24-029025 and 24-029032 for the part numbers.

Initially, truck was MUCH better as you can imagine. Much smoother, taking on the smaller bumps very nicely. After a couple hundred miles I noticed that it took the large bumps like my old shocks.

The wheels bounce multiple times when i hit a large bump, and it causes control issues, especially when hitting multiple bumps in a row. The back end will try to come around when I hit medium to large bumps going around a curve. Very scary.

I DAGS, most likely cause would be worn springs.

Took it to my suspension guy, he agreed with the multiple bouncing wheels on large bumps, but he'd never seen anything like it, especially with new shocks. Especially with a higher grade shock like a Bilstein. If a vehicle had that symptom, he would suggest new shocks. He knows his stuff, he said the springs don't appear to be sagging, and should be alright even after 14 years and 150,000mi. Truck is an '02. Only other things he saw while he was looking was driver front upper ball joint could be replaced.

Alright, any ideas?

Thanks
    Sooner A
    02 RCSB 4.3 to 5.3 swap with an EBAY CAI.

Most of the trucks I drive have an issue with bouncing multiple times after hitting a bump.
    Is your truck lowered?

Sounds like you honestly just drive to fast. I've hit plenty of bumps never felt like I was losing control.

kyb monomax or look into getting ppv specific shocks; If you are looking for firmer shock. you can also get those adjustable ones or coilovers

all bilsteins are not equal

Farmtruc: Yeah could be a truck thing, but I don't remember it doing this for the first say 60-70K miles I owned the truck. Stock everything.

Crazyblu: Yeah I drive too fast, but in this case I'm talking 50 MPH on backroads, and 75 on the highway.

Blacstar: I included the part numbers in case I might have selected the wrong ones for the truck.

After reading some more reviews of the 4600HDs, most people love them, but a number of people experienced what I have (bouncing,hopping or shuddering with larger bumps) I'm thinking it is the way these shocks ride. Ill give it a few more weeks, been installed for about a month and maybe 1000 miles now.

They have the lifetime warranty, maybe I can switch them out for a different set. I'll try to drive some buddies' trucks to see how they ride and what they are running.

Sooo, it's funny that all 3 of yalls' usernames are missing a letter from normal spellings. mildlyinteresting. Thanks for the ideas!
    02 RCSB 4.3 to 5.3 swap with an EBAY CAI.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner Aviator View Post
    Farmtruc: Yeah could be a truck thing, but I don't remember it doing this for the first say 60-70K miles I owned the truck. Stock everything.

Crazyblu: Yeah I drive too fast, but in this case I'm talking 50 MPH on backroads, and 75 on the highway.

Blacstar: I included the part numbers in case I might have selected the wrong ones for the truck.

After reading some more reviews of the 4600HDs, most people love them, but a number of people experienced what I have (bouncing,hopping or shuddering with larger bumps) I'm thinking it is the way these shocks ride. Ill give it a few more weeks, been installed for about a month and maybe 1000 miles now.

They have the lifetime warranty, maybe I can switch them out for a different set. I'll try to drive some buddies' trucks to see how they ride and what they are running.

Sooo, it's funny that all 3 of yalls' usernames are missing a letter from normal spellings. mildlyinteresting. Thanks for the ideas!
    50 mph on these country roads around here and I wouldn't have a bumper and probably bounce all over the place too. I'm on the newest model belltech drop shocks. They feel amazing to me considering a 2/4 is the worst ride of any drops available IMO.

+ Reply to Thread