+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wiring and stereo swap from newer truck?

Cool wiring and stereo swap from newer truck?

Would it possible/feasible to swap the required harness and speakers/stereo from a late model wrecked LS truck into my '92 regular cab truck...I was thinking earlier about using a 2003 trailblazer stereo (the one in it was NO comparison in sound quality!) as a donor but heard the harness/system is totally different. But I'm thinking if I can just swap harness and computer too, this might make me a very happy camper, without breaking the bank with custom stereo equipment.

There just aren't many options out there for stereo for this rig otherwise, so I'm trying to be creative.

Not sure what your trin to do, but would be way cheaper to just throw a pioneer in and done.

Yup, i agree, factory head-units r more trouble than there worth. Use the speakers out of the trailblazer if u want but get a decent after market head-unit, dash kit for that truck, wiring harness adapter and antenna adapter. This will be much easier and less headaches.

thanks for the responses. I currently have a Kenwood cd head unit now, and two replacement speakers in the dash, I think 5 1/2s. And two replacements in the back, 3X5's. Lots of treble and mid, but no bass. Then I sit in the trailblazer and the stock outfit just blows my sound into the dirt. I just wish my truck sounded as good.
    My stepsons got me a cheap(!) subwoofer combo for Xmas at Walmart, I looked and it costed $16.99, and it sounds like it! but sounds one stage better than it did.

I have found a ported slimline box that will go behind the seat to hold a 10" sub, but I just don't know if the sound will surround my senses like the trailblazer. I have thought about hacking the interior and doing something really different, as this is not beyond my capabilities. For example, a custom dash. The replacement speaker covers (cheap factory plastic) are pricy to replace, old ones are broken from when someone replaced the speakers at the store many years ago. And I have lots of rattles in the "plastic" interior anyway. And maybe some custom enclosures in the back corners instead of the little 3X5's. I can't just go out and buy a new truck. ($$$$$) So I'm trying to put together some options. I am planning on using the insulation mat on the interior, I'm sure this will greatly help.

Since I'm already doing an LS swap, that's why I was thinking wiring swap. But I can imagine how complicated that could be. I've seen how messy factory stereo wiring can be! lol
    Last edited by stillwater; 06-11-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Car audio is a get what you pay for thing, just look around be for spending money. Id do 1 high end 10 behind the seat in a custom ported box, port out pass side, nice set of dash speakers and should sound good. Kenwood has an unfriendly inerface, and most dont give great options on tuning.

A good aftermaket system will blow away any factory stereo, including the blose. I totally agree with what Bootlife said. Car audio is a get what you pay for. But on the other hand I also comes down to install. I have seen some of the best equipment sound like crap and cheap stuff sound amazing, it all came down to the install.

Tim
    2004 GMC Yukon Denali XL AWD 6.0
    1995 Suburban LT 4x4 soon to have LS power.

+ Reply to Thread