+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT tire suggestions needed

AT tire suggestions needed

Need to replace my tires, so I'm looking for some suggestions on the best AT tires. Planning to buy at 4WO (learn more about their offered tires) since they are offering me a good deal though not sure what to get. Does anyone have experience with Terra Grappler, Grabber AT2 and BFG All-Terrain T/A KO? Also, I'm planning to add 2" lift on my rig. What's the max tire size I can put with that kind of lift?

TOYO Open Country A/T 2 is what I run. Nitto's will wear too fast. I've never heard anything good about the Grabbers. I've seen quite a few sets of Grabber MT's come apart, don't know if the AT's are any better.
    Truck: 05 GMC CCSB SLT Z71,
    Go Faster: 5.3, 219/227 .607/.614 112, milled heads, eBay CAI, Circle D 2800, 3030 Built 60E, E-Fans, 3030 Tuned, LT's, Spintech Muffler, DuraGrip w/ 3.73's
    Look Better: 10K HID's lows & fogs, tinted Chevy tails

Quote Originally Posted by ImportThis View Post
    TOYO Open Country A/T 2 is what I run. Nitto's will wear too fast. I've never heard anything good about the Grabbers. I've seen quite a few sets of Grabber MT's come apart, don't know if the AT's are any better.
    How's the tread wear of your Open Country A/T2's?

My last set of terra grapplers lasted a good bit almost 40k and I did lots of burnouts...ppl

Tire pressure is key

I currently have general grabber on my jeep..red letters
    With only 6000 miles they seem to be wearing great so far

Had the bfg nice tire wear fast and skinnier then others of same size

Had choice again Terra or general

On my truck I now have trail grapplers and they are noisey and have a wear to them after 6000 miles..
    2002 Lightning - GT headed 5.5Litre w/ Twin 7665s
    2002 Silverado - 427Lsx w/ Twin gt4202s
    2010 Silverado crewcab Z71 - 5.3litre w/ procharger
    2000 Wrangler - 5.3litre with some stance
    2014 Xsport- 3.5 Eco boost
    412 Motorsports

it ain't that I'm too big to listen to the rumors, It's just that I'm too damn big to pay attention to 'em..That's the difference

My last set of terra grapplers lasted a good bit almost 40k and I did lots of burnouts...ppl

Tire pressure is key

I currently have general grabber on my jeep..red letters
    With only 6000 miles they seem to be wearing great so far

Had the bfg nice tire wear fast and skinnier then others of same size

Had choice again Terra or general

On my truck I now have trail grapplers and they are noisey and have a wear to them after 6000 miles..
    2002 Lightning - GT headed 5.5Litre w/ Twin 7665s
    2002 Silverado - 427Lsx w/ Twin gt4202s
    2010 Silverado crewcab Z71 - 5.3litre w/ procharger
    2000 Wrangler - 5.3litre with some stance
    2014 Xsport- 3.5 Eco boost
    412 Motorsports

it ain't that I'm too big to listen to the rumors, It's just that I'm too damn big to pay attention to 'em..That's the difference

They are wearing very little, and very smooth. They have almost 10k miles. Been rotated once. I figure I will get 40k+ out of them. My last set was buckshots and I got 33k out of those
    Truck: 05 GMC CCSB SLT Z71,
    Go Faster: 5.3, 219/227 .607/.614 112, milled heads, eBay CAI, Circle D 2800, 3030 Built 60E, E-Fans, 3030 Tuned, LT's, Spintech Muffler, DuraGrip w/ 3.73's
    Look Better: 10K HID's lows & fogs, tinted Chevy tails

Toyo open country AT here 18k miles

I bought the Toyo Open Country AT2's new 18K miles ago and they look to be about 60%to70%,Great tires! Mine are 285/75/16.
    Last edited by daytripper67mi; 05-11-2014 at 04:43 PM.

i've got some Falken Rocky Mountain/Wild Peak tires & they've been alright. If you see lots of complaints about wear, it's probably because they don't run the right pressure. i run 45-47psi in my 8plies & ain't had a problem in 1.5 yr/15k mi. they're pretty quiet on the highway, have great dry & snow performance, but they're only decent when wet or on ice - but that also might be because my truck's so light (RCSB 1500).
    00 FRC - just top end, exhaust, and a hot-air intake
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd
    ↓ click the pic for the build ↓

Not sure about the Grapplers 1&2 but my experience w/ the BFG's is different from others mentioned. Big time wear king and the quietest (fairly aggressive tread) tire i have ever owned. Maybe they have changed since my last set 6 years ago ?? (have bought 3 different sets). This last set I will replace not because of tread wear. But am seeing some dry rubber signs and also am getting ready for my swap and want to change my tire size.

This is what I have now: LT305/70R16/E seamed to be the max width and height for my stock wheels 95 pickup. I would frequent our southern neighbors and these worked great for sand (wet or dry) and anything else I attempted.

So far I am planning on going w/ a narrower tire and as tall as I can get for the next set: LT235/85R16/E 120 S. These I believe will serve me better (better traction in mud and around rocks etc. and give me good ground clearance. I have a small 2 to 3" lift)I spend as much time as possible in the mountains where I chase trout w/ a fly.

Oh and did I mention I switched from blonds to brunet's a few years back.

Best choice I ever made!

Forgot to mention: I easily get over 60 K w/ my past BFG's. I hope the All-Terrain T/A KO I get next will be what I have expected in the past. Based on what I read above I have to wonder?

Brian

+ Reply to Thread