+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4l60e "FLAT" flexplate

4l60e "FLAT" flexplate

I need to buy a 4l60e flat flexplate to mount my 4l80e to my lq4 am uses a ls1 style converter 3 bolts.

I can't find one new there all dished.

Thanks
    Last edited by LQ4-TURBO; 05-05-2014 at 01:14 AM.

the flat flexplate is not from the 60. its from the 80. and if you have a 3 bolt converter, then you want the dished...i think your confused. check this out
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/11065304-post1.html
    Like Tumbler in "Gone in 60" I'll drive anything with wheels or without

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kewljay223 View Post
    the flat flexplate is not from the 60. its from the 80. and if you have a 3 bolt converter, then you want the dished...i think your confused. check this out
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/11065304-post1.html
    Thanks for the link. From what I read it's telling me that I can use my dished 4l60e dish flex plate with a spacer mounted on the outside of the flex to help Center the torque converter hub?

This is not problem the converter is as seated as far as it will go into transmission and with trying to bolt the transmission up to the block. The pads for the converter is touching the flex plate and I have at least a 1/4 if not a little more for the transmission to mount to the block. The spacer only extends out the help Center the converter hub but it doesn't move the flex plate.

I either need to find a flat 4l60e flex plate or like I was stating earlier that the converter snout is to long? For comparison the new ls1 snout is 3/4" longer.

I believe the snout of the converter just goes into the pump just enough to keep it center? Hopefully somebody can chime in but if all else fells I can cut the snout not sure how much? Or get a flat flex which I'm not sure would be enough?

To put it simple the converter into trans is all the way in. The converter side that connects to the flexplate are touching and the center hub of the converter is in the center of the flexplate but the transmission is still a good 1/4" to 3/8" away from the block but I can't go anymore because the converter is already against the flex plate.

the dished plate is at the same spot where the flat plate would be because the spacer would be on the back of the flat flex plate puting it in the same spot... so going with a flat one wont help you unless you dont use the spacer which is not correct UNLESS you have a 99-00 motor... due to the longer crank shaft which in that case, i see what your problem is. but i still dont understand how you have a 3 bolt 80e converter... is it custom made that way (like mine from CD)???

if you dont have a 99-00 then i really think you dont have it seated all the way.

either way, i have the flat flex plate/spacer. just making sure you actually NEED it.
    Last edited by kewljay223; 05-04-2014 at 10:29 PM.
    Like Tumbler in "Gone in 60" I'll drive anything with wheels or without

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

I ordered a converter for my 4l80e and filled out all the correct stuff in addition I filled out in the (comments) that I was getting a 4l80e flexplate flat with spacer. When the converter arrived I had a 3 bolt converter.

I called the company and I the second call somebody answered I told my problem. He told me that there base model 4l80e converter is an ls1 style which is a 3 bolt. He also said that he (DID NOT READ MY COMMENT) He told that a 4l60e flex plate would work with no spacer. I asked if he was sure and said he was postive. I also told him that I'm not sure about the crank being the long one or the short. I told him that my crank sticks out about 1/4". He than asked he I had iron heads? I sad no aluminum. He said use a 4l60e flexplate with No spacer.

You are right!

"the dished plate is at the same spot where the flat plate would be because the spacer would be on the back of the flat flex plate puting it in the same spot".

But that's not what I'm trying to do I have a dish plate no spacer, converter all the way in and the converter pads are against the flex plate and I still have a gap from transmission to block.

My ideas if I had a flat spacer I would gain at least a 1/4" to close that gap.

I know I don't need a spacer.

I believe I need a flat 4l60e flex plate (NO SPACER)

I do have a 4l80e flat flexplate with spacer which turns out I don't need now! (Dangnt)

So if anybody needs one I sell to you or trade you for a flat 4l60e flex plate.

Kewljay223 if you got an idea or whatever I can pm you my number.
    Last edited by LQ4-TURBO; 05-04-2014 at 11:36 PM.

I would like to say that I'm not bashing the company that I bought the converter from. This is the second converter I bought from them, first one was flawless. This one being a different transmission, ls1 converter, and the crank length being in question there's a few variables to work out.

I'm just trying to figure out what to do?

I've pushed and twisted on the converter ( with in reason) and it will not go anymore in. I'm just trying to figure out what to do.

How can I post pictures?

Get a photobucket account, then copy and paste the "forum" html....You'll see once you get the account set up

+ Reply to Thread