+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Torque Converter problem

Torque Converter problem

I ordered a torque converter for my 4l80e ls1 style but the torque converter snout bottoms out against the pump seal of the transmission. With the converter snout bottomed all the way down to the pump the torque converter pads stick out past the trans about 3/4". Is the snout to long? The snout is 2-13/16" long for the ls1 and my 4l80e torque converter snout is 2-1/16" long?

I left a message for the company I bought it from but they probably won't get back with me tell Monday.
    Attached Images

that looks like a CD converter. if so, i HIGHLY doubt its built wrong. i have a feeling your just not seating it all the way. keep twisting and turning. i also made the mistake of putting the pump gears on backwards when i installed my shift kit which prevented the TC from seating all the way. i didnt know this at the time and i called chris and he mentioned that possibility so i took the pump back off and sure enough thats what i did. rookie mistake but just saying. if you put your trans together, you may have done the same thing. other than that, im not sure.
    Like Tumbler in "Gone in 60" I'll drive anything with wheels or without

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kewljay223 View Post
    that looks like a CD converter. if so, i HIGHLY doubt its built wrong. i have a feeling your just not seating it all the way. keep twisting and turning. i also made the mistake of putting the pump gears on backwards when i installed my shift kit which prevented the TC from seating all the way. i didnt know this at the time and i called chris and he mentioned that possibility so i took the pump back off and sure enough thats what i did. rookie mistake but just saying. if you put your trans together, you may have done the same thing. other than that, im not sure.
    I appreciate the reply and I will take a look but I did not mess with the pump gears when I took the pump out and took the two half's apart I left the half with the gears alone. The only thing I can think of is that the converter snout pushes into the pump seal around the output shaft? This is the second converter that I installed the other one was with a 4l60e and it went fine. This being a 4l80e I have the benefit of the bottom of the bellhousing missing so I can see that it's bottomed out. I would think if I could push the converter down into the pump seal while it was turning; it would create an extreme amount of friction.

Does anybody have a ls1 converter laying around to measure the snout length?

Well the converter was NOT seated all the way I talked to Chris from Circle D and he told me that the converter pads to trans mount to block needs to be an 1"; so that told me with no uncertainty that it was not seated all the way. I tried forever and couldn't get it and finally while spinning it I noticed it seem lower so I just tapped the converter and it just slid right down, Yes.......!

Thanks Chis and you others also for your help!

I had the same problem, took me a while to figure it out too, lol.
    03' Silverado RCSB H/C 5.3, 4L80,76mm KBracing Kit
    13' Sierra Denali 2500HD CCSB 4x4

+ Reply to Thread