+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a remote mount turbo

Talk me out of a remote mount turbo

... Or not. Have a 97 rcsb chevy with a mild built 5.3 swap.
    Goals would be a quick street car maybe see a track once or twice.
    Like to be in the 12ish boost range. Would be running an On3 76mm regular bearing turbo and probably their gate and BOV. A walbro 430 pump and 60# injectors.

Reason I started thinking remote is the more simple install, I just bought the headers I have and I'm thinking with the long run on the cold side I'd be able to use a much smaller intercooler seeing as I don't have much room at all for one.
    Plus, it keeps the under hood much cleaner.

Tell me your thoughts and ideas if you would.
    97 RCSB . 2WD . 5.3 . 4l60E . E-FANS . PNP 706s . TSP 228R . 3600 STALL . HD2 . VETTE SERVO . 3.73s . 2" DROP
    TURBO IN THE WORKS

id say do it. thats what im going to do. its typically not as efficiant as one up front but if the system is built half decent, it will still perform well. your right about the longer distance helping with the cooling but an intercooler is still a good idea. and the distance will allow you to run smaller piping to keep up the pressures which will help with your space issues. key is to keep the exhaust as hot as possible to the turbo so get it as close as possible to the front. pipe wrap will help but then you run into rust issues unless you go with stainless pipes.

people put rear mounts down because they are not as efficient as front mounts. that is a fact. but it doesnt mean they dont do anything. otherwise sts wouldnt be selling them.... so if your goint to build your system yourself, do as much reasearch on that as possible to make it as efficent as you can get it.

i say do it. keep me updated with how you do yours too. im still gathering info. do a writeup! a bunch of members would like to see that.
    Like Tumbler in "Gone in 60" I'll drive anything with wheels or without

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

Ideally I'd rather have a front mount but there just isn't as much room as everybody seems to think there is. The way our frames are and the intercooler not having any room. Just started thinking about remotes today. But I will do a write up either direction I go.
    97 RCSB . 2WD . 5.3 . 4l60E . E-FANS . PNP 706s . TSP 228R . 3600 STALL . HD2 . VETTE SERVO . 3.73s . 2" DROP
    TURBO IN THE WORKS

there is a thread on here somewhere about intercoolers in OBS trucks. try and find it pretty nifty. wont work for me though due to my big trans cooler i put in front of the rad. what im planning on doing is mounting my cooler under the bed or floor pan flat and making a scoop for it along with mounting 1 or 2 (depending on size) waterproof style fans on it. so it will kinda resemble a radiator setup. this will help force fresh air through it sine it otherwise wouldnt get any air being mounted like that. this obviously isnt as good as forced air from the front but i figure with the distance of the cold side to the intake along with the fans, it SHOULD be comparable. just an idea. thats my plan anyway.

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

I had a remote turbo I'd be worried about telling the wrong person and they end up taking a Sawzall and stealing my expensive turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by LQ4-TURBO View Post
    I had a remote turbo I'd be worried about telling the wrong person and they end up taking a Sawzall and stealing my expensive turbo.
    Haha true. Idk bout his truck but you can barely fit your arm under mine so I'm not too worried bout that!

CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!

Reason number 874 dropped trucks are cool you can't steal anything from the bottom. Lol good luck with your build I am getting ready to do a front mount 76mm on3

^^^ thanks, what have you figured out so far?
    TURBO IN THE WORKS

I am buying a kit that was built for ls swapped obs so that makes things easier.

Who makes this kit? I think I found my solution with the trick turbo manifold
    TURBO IN THE WORKS

+ Reply to Thread