+ Reply to Thread

Thread: You guessed it...a new guy...

You guessed it...a new guy...

What's up fellas (and ladies). Recently got back into a older Chevy. Had a beautiful k10 5-6 years back and have regretting getting rid of it just about every day. I've owned and built foxbodys my whole life but its time for a change. Not 100% positive of my plans yet for this newly acquired 87 R10,but it will involve a LSX and a 4l80, and possibly forced induction later. I don't make 100k a year so won't be over night, but when I get my plan together I will start buying parts and possibly make a build thread. I've built some really fun mustangs and I'm sure when this is done it'll be a pretty cool/quick street truck.....ok...enough of that..here's the truck...

Here's what it looked like last week on the way home from purchasing it, 5 hour ride home and averaged 23.9mpg! I thought it was a pretty clean truck from the start, original paint, and 10k mile dealer bought and installed replacement vortec 305.

I know it's attractive to a buyer like me to see that factory bed liner and those bed rails...but even though the 65 year old original owner may have liked them, they weren't for me...had to go.

And as good as the tread looked on those ole cooper tires...after a blow out my second day owning it, I realized the outside my have been protected with armor all, the inside where all dry rotted...not having the funds for the wheel and tire combo I want right now...I just put all new of the same exact tire on the stock wheels. Here's my little girl helping daddy take them off!

The interior has minimal fading, the carpet being the worse, and the top of the door panels.

Under the hood is clean and everything seems to be in good shape (including the factory jack). Has been converted to 134a and will freeze you out. Motor runs great and trans shifts great even at WOT...has more pep than I expected from the little 305. Only thing I see wrong under the hood is for some reason it has the wrong breather?

So here she is as of today, also now missing those chrome things over the side windows. I'm not much on the whole idea that more is better in the looks department. Other appearance plans are a cowl hood, k5 rear bumper and It will be most likely getting a 3-4 drop, but may have to come down in the rear more to sit level with a larger rear tire. I'm really like the staggard look but won't be going crazy with a huge wheel...it'll sport a set of 17x8s all the way around unless I find I can put a 17x10 under the rear with little or no mods (haven't researched it yet) it will sit very much like this truck...

(I hate even posting that truck...makes mine look awful...lol) ..not a penny spent on mods yet but I think the first step is losing some altitude. It'll be a decent looking truck that way as I drive it and start collecting parts...and as well as it runs I can take my time with the LSX swap, so it'll be hard not to go ahead and getting it looking better, then collect parts for the LSX swap..... I look forward to checking out the rides on here reading some build/swap threads to get a better idea the exact motor I want to go with. Thanks for taking the time to read my novel of a first post...lol and here is "Ruby" as she sits..nothing special, just a well taken care of 1987 Chevy, with a bright future..lol

Btw...is there a product or trick to getting that old glue or what's left of a chip guard off in front of the rear wheels? Turtle wax adhesive remover wouldn't touch it...
    Last edited by Blackfox; 03-11-2014 at 03:24 AM.

Being I mentioned the 87 k10 I had before I figured I would post pics of it as well, all stock when I bought it also, before I had it home I stopped and put some new tires and a MT Classic wheels with beadlocks (artificial).....

Then 2 months later came the 10inch lift and 38x16.5 super swampers...still drove great and was just a mall crawler, loved the look, but I'm not into mud boggin or any of that, so it still had the stock tbi 350 and 1/2 ton running gear...never gave me a problem...here it was a couple weeks before I sold it, I truly miss it...it was even a cleaner truck than my new one. And I still think it's the best looking stock color of those years.
    Last edited by Blackfox; 03-11-2014 at 03:14 AM.

That is one clean box man! Most the ones that body around here is literally falling apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Show&Go View Post
    That is one clean box man! Most the ones that body around here is literally falling apart.
    Thanks man, I searched for a couple months for one that was in good shape and that they didn't want 10k for it. I could make a few grand on it if I wasn't already attached to her...lol

Wow that is awesome! Keep us updated
    1951 3100
    1984 C10

Nice trucks, I really like this body style lifted there's one on youtube I believe called screamin Siemen. Its got a 5.3 with a turbo very nice!

welcome, the square bodys are becoming the next generation of desired trucks
    2002 Lightning - GT headed 5.5Litre w/ Twin 7665s
    2002 Silverado - 427Lsx w/ Twin gt4202s
    2010 Silverado crewcab Z71 - 5.3litre w/ procharger
    2000 Wrangler - 5.3litre with some stance
    2014 Xsport- 3.5 Eco boost
    412 Motorsports

it ain't that I'm too big to listen to the rumors, It's just that I'm too damn big to pay attention to 'em..That's the difference

damn nice trucks!

Took off the push "bars" today...started removing the pinstripe on the tailgate to see how bad it would be on 27 year old paint...(wasn't as bad as the stripe...it'll all come off within the next week) also cleaned up the interior really good today...needs carpet and I'll leave the inside alone for a while...

Pinstripe removed on tailgate:

Interior pic:

+ Reply to Thread