+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: LS9 cam swap parts....

cool man. thanks for everything. you have really helped out! very much appreciated!!
    Like Tumbler in "Gone in 60" I'll drive anything with wheels or without

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

BTW, just out of curiosity what makes that cam, or any for that matter, "boost friendly"? i was under the impression that it was the split duration....from what i read, usually a bigger split like the LS9. the Trick Flow you recomended has an awefully close split. seems like it wouldnt be "as freindly". like i said though, im new to reading cam profiles so yeah...im new... lol

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

The thing about LS motors and boost is that it likes just about anything. Too much overlap is to be avoided. Other than that it is a build by build dependent process. Sme even consider it a dark art. In the case of superchargers it is generally accepted that a large duration split favoring the exhaust side is best. This was once true of turbos as well. However, now many small cube turbo builds have seen huge success using a matched duration setup. The isky triple twelve is wildly popular and successful. As long as a cam is fairly mild it will almost always do well with boost. Again so many factors go into specing a turbo cam including stall size, turbo size, goals, etc.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

yeah i realize there are tons of variables. was just trying to get an idea. well, good to know. your just a wealth of information. haha thanks

CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!

hey kergie, so im finally getting around to the cam swap. it will still be a little while before i do it as im still waiting on the deals to come around. but i did purchase the cam you recomended yesterday. its on sale right now. i have a list of the rest of the parts i need also. just waiting for money or sales. anyway, only thing thats been on my mind this whole time is lifters.... im not sure if i need to replace them or not. from what ive searched, it seems i dont NEED to if they are in good condition. Obviously i wont know for sure unless i pull them out and look at the wipe. even then im still new so i wont know exactly what im looking for. i guess what im getting at is i can hear a ticking sound right now when i pop the hood. actually i can hear it with the hood closed... but im not sure what it is. but from past experience, it sounds like either lifters or valve lash??? (i know there shouldnt be any lash on stock hyd...) i just dont know if i should just buy new ones to be safe or not. ive read that sometimes the tick is normal and sometimes not. i dont have ANY drivability issues and there are no DTC's. so i assume all is well and they are just noisy...but im not sure. i would just prefer not to spend the extra money and time to buy new ones, pull the heads and replace them if not necessary... i bought the motor used. no idea on the milage. did a carfax and its not acurate. i think somebody fudged the numbers. but im guessing around a little over 100k. it came out of an escalade so its not like the thing was used for racing but who knows how the previous owner took care of it... know what i mean? what you think? thanks for your time.

if i should get some, im not sure which. i went on summit and having a hard time finding any. this is what i came up with http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12499225

did a little searching and it seems some have had issues with them and some not. i found out they are not GM lifters but aftermarket also. is this what i should get or is there another set that is better?

CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!

If the lifters are in decent shape I wouldn't worry. Sounds almost like you might have an exhaust leak causing the tapping. I wouldn't waste money on the LS7 lifters they are basically the same as stock. Really the way to go would be morel lifters. If you plan on spinning the motor to the moon then link bars would be a good idea. Most lifter failure seems to occur with a combo of big cams, dual springs, and most often the lifter spun around.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

yeah it was definately an exhaust leak before. the rear bolt broke off like many ls motors do. so i pulled the manifold and got the bolt out. actually two since one broke off while i was trying to remove it. anyway, im 95% sure there is no exhaust leak. but its possible its leaking at the "collector" thanks for heads up. ill just wait untill i pull the lifters and check them out. if i need some, summit ships really fast so i wont be down too long. appreciate it man.

CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!

ok kergie.... another question.... haha sorry bro, your my go-to now!! so i got the TFS-30602001 you recomended on sale durring xmas. now im looking for the rest of the supporting parts. i got everything narrowed down except for the springs. on summits site, they are recomending a few different parts. So i assume either one is ok as this isnt gonna be a race motor so the tolerences arent that critical. if i was to buy springs by themselves, they say to get either TFS-16306-16 or TFS-16904-16. but i would like to do the trunion upgrade at the same time im doing all this and summit sells a kit SME-K-14300 which was recomended for the cam also. so my question is if the springs in the kit are suitable to what i need?? i assume so since its a recomended part and the specs seem to be what im looking for. just want to verify before i purchase. obviously the kit is the easier and cheaper way to go. thanks man.

CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!

+ Reply to Thread