+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dyno'd " Project Sucker Punch"

Dyno'd " Project Sucker Punch"

Soo I dyno'd the turd at Tune Time Performance( around the corner from SLP Performance, in NJ) anyways the the truck made 364RWHP and 380RWTQ on a Mustang dyno( yes I know there numbers are lower, but offer a more realistic number based off mods )..... Any ways the owner stated that TBSS with same to nearly identical setups make around 400-415RWHP. He said that because I have 4:56's that the gears skew FINAL numbers. Point being he said they testes a stock vette and it made 500RWHP with 3:42's and they put 4:10's in and it made 450RWHP, tune untouched. Do tha power number sound right?? Texas speed stated with the mods that I have my motor should make 495-515BHP.

Mods:
    Iron LS2: 6.0LQ9
    243 heads no porting, patriot gold dual springs .650 max lift
    TBSS Intake, stock TBSS injectors FAST 92mm TB
    Hardened 7.4 pushrods
    K&N CAI( found it to be restrictive or the motor, I need 4" minimum or larger intake tube )
    Built 65e, stock verter
    Manual clutch fan
    4:56's
    Texas speed LT's 1.75 to full 3" exhaust, with a flowmaster Super 10 race jobby, and 3" tailpipe in stock location, no cats.
    Texas speed cam: 224/228 .581-.588 114lsa
    Stealth fuel pump(340)
    2000 silverado rcsb 2wd

Basically a stock motor besides the cam..... Any one have power numbers similar to this, or was that a load of smoke blown up my rear, truck has not be to the strip yet

A completely stock TBSS will make roughly 320rwhp. You have the advantage of boltons a tune and a cam that is larger than the LS2 of a stock TBSS. You have about 40rwhp more. That isn't out of the question considering circumstances of dyno type, muffler choice, maxed out injectors, clutch fan, 4.56s etc. I would expect different if you had 3.73s, efans, a straight thru muffler bigger injectors, dynojet and a dead on aggressive tune. You would break 400 pretty easy.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

Why would the gear change make my dyno numbers read any different? My injectors are close to being maxed out, I will have e fans on it next time I dyno, ( heard they are worth about 10RWHP, I'm not to sure about those gains ) I had an SLP loudmouth on and it is "straight through" my flowfaster isn't too bad it I super short, any muffler recommendations? And don't dyno jets dyno out "higher" numbers. I'm not trying to chase a
    Magical number... Just seems a bit low for the mods

Mustang dynos spit out low numbers the same way dyno jets spit out high numbers. Quick question what tires and rims are on this truck? Efan gains aren't an exact science. Really it depends on how much drag your clutch fan creates. The flowmaster is a chambered muffler so it is going to hold you back a little bit especially on the top end. How high did you spin it on the dyno? Did the power start to fall off prior to stopping the dyno pull?
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

It has to do with the inherent frictional loss of gear sets. The larger the ratio multipier, ethier up or down, the greater the frictional loss. We always dyno in 4th with a 6 speed because that gear is straight through or 1 to 1. Any other gear would produce lower numbers. Gear set frictional losses are also proportional to the torque being transmitted. The differential gear set is the major part of driveline loss. The same goes for rear gearing as dynoing in different gears only slightly effects the out come. For example going from 3.42s to 4.10s might only change things 5-6%, but the jump to 4.56s might lose you 8%. That might sound small, however 8% of 400rwhp is 32hp lost. This is all a lot of ricer math, but the theory is good.

FYI you can skew the numbers so easy on a mustang dyno. You can easily make them read 100 hp over actual and 100 hp lower...set the weight wrong watch numbers change, change the weather station...watch numbers change....set smoothing to zero watch numbers change.....set smoothing to 100 and watch numbers change

now on the DJ the numbers arent as easy to Skew

on a MD they have a DJ setting so it gives off the same reading as it would on a DJ
    2002 Lightning - GT headed 5.5Litre w/ Twin 7665s
    2002 Silverado - 427Lsx w/ Twin gt4202s
    2010 Silverado crewcab Z71 - 5.3litre w/ procharger
    2000 Wrangler - 5.3litre with some stance
    2014 Xsport- 3.5 Eco boost
    412 Motorsports

it ain't that I'm too big to listen to the rumors, It's just that I'm too damn big to pay attention to 'em..That's the difference

My dyno has several variables I can change to alter final numbers.
    As well as that DJ correction factor.

Fwiw. Engine dyno. LQ9 with 224 cam made 460hp a long time ago.

Power is torque multiplied by angular speed. Lower gearing will lower the angular speed, therefore lowering the recorded power. I'm sure there are many more variables in your case, but this is what I have learned while getting my engineering degree. I don't have the degree yet, so take my words with a grain of salt. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by kerrige View Post
    Mustang dynos spit out low numbers the same way dyno jets spit out high numbers. Quick question what tires and rims are on this truck? Efan gains aren't an exact science. Really it depends on how much drag your clutch fan creates. The flowmaster is a chambered muffler so it is going to hold you back a little bit especially on the top end. How high did you spin it on the dyno? Did the power start to fall off prior to stopping the dyno pull?
    Rolling stock consists of 16x8 steel wagons with 235/70/16 on all 4x's for DD and dyno pulls, what would be a better muffler for max performance and no irritating crack and rasp at the 3k area?

Quote Originally Posted by fast450ridr View Post
    Power is torque multiplied by angular speed. Lower gearing will lower the angular speed, therefore lowering the recorded power. I'm sure there are many more variables in your case, but this is what I have learned while getting my engineering degree. I don't have the degree yet, so take my words with a grain of salt. Lol

As I mentioned earlier the tuner had stated that a sime gear change from I.E. 4:10 to 4:56. On a similar setup was roughly 45-55 RWHP, I asked the tuner to " explain " how tha worked but " your " words made more sense lol he stated something similar to that, but I learn better by reading not just listening lol..... Kerrige I think we were spinning it to 6400, 6600 maybe..... I cannot upload the dyno runs from my phone, but I can text them through PM, I took the run of the screen for data purposes, not just watch the trucks me noise going no where, text me your numbers and I will send the vid to anyone that wants to see it

+ Reply to Thread