+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Turbo on n/a motor

Turbo on n/a motor

I started out building a n/a motor to put nitrous on. Well lately I been really thinking of putting a small turbo or something to get around 10# of boost instead. Btw it's a 5.3 cam and boltons. My main concern as of now would be the cam I have in which is 228/232 588/595 110+4. I know it's not the first choice when it come to boost. There are lots of thing I don't understand about valve events.. Dcr...and how much it affects how well the boost works. Changing the cam is not an option at this point. Stock 862 heads for now. I will be sending the heads to get worked. Not sure if I want to mill them or not. I know for the n/a factor it would help and even with nitrous, but not so sure on boost. So any thoughts on if I should try to boost or just stay with n/a plans?

With few exceptions the rule is if it makes power NA it will make power under boost. Now efficiency will be the purpose of having a boost specific build. Overlap is the biggest concern with cam selection. Too much overlap can cause you to bleed boost. Compression is good for having power out of boost. It will also make the motor more responsive. The downside is the amount of timing the motor will allow.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

I think I'm going to try it when funds allow. Worst that can happen is buying a new short block I guess

+ Reply to Thread