+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 05 LQ4 6.0 - freshen for boost

05 LQ4 6.0 - freshen for boost

I grabbed a low mileage 6.0 LQ4 out of an 05 Yukon XL Denali w/ 56k.

I so far pulled heads off, stripped it down to just about the block and rotating assembly to inspect things and of course do new head gaskets.

I am going with twin PTE6266s and going to run low boost. I want the truck to feel like a factory boosted truck with stock like mannerisms. Its being dropped in a 95 GMC Suburban K2500. Hence the reason why I went with the parts I got so far.

Purchased so far:
    New LS9 Cam
    LS9 Head Gaskets
    LS2 Front timing chain cover kit
    LS9 Valve Springs
    High Volume Oil Pump
    Upgraded Timing Chain

Now I also ordered a LS2 Chain Damper but then realized when I got the engine apart it does not have the bolt holes in the block for it. So what do you guys do in that situation?

Also did I miss anything so far? Looks like I got lucky with the 05 having a 1x cam gear so that saves a few dollars.

According to Lingenfelter the stock pushrods should be sufficient but I am going to measure them to double check.

The engine is not as clean as I wanted so I will most likely pull the rotating assembly out and really get this block cleaned up and prepped.
    1995 GMC Suburban 7.4L S/C (339whp/530wtq 5lbs) Whipple off, 454 pulled - 6.0 twin turbo swap started

2010 GMC Sierra Denali AWD

SOLD: 2004 Dodge SRT-4 S3r (11.6 @ 117)

www.tabtransmissions.com

Some pics.

-- dont mind the green spray it was just a test and I am not going that route lol.
    1995 GMC Suburban 7.4L S/C (339whp/530wtq 5lbs) Whipple off, 454 pulled - 6.0 twin turbo swap started

www.tabtransmissions.com

Older blocks don't run the tensioner and have the 1x sprocket.

Be sure to drill out the pcv valve if it's in the rocker cover, preparing for the catch can.

It's all apart so go with some caddy lifters. The set is less than $150.

did you add that fan or is it stock??? havnt seen a small one like that before... on the front of the condensor anyway... interesting
    Like Tumbler in "Gone in 60" I'll drive anything with wheels or without

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by farmtruc View Post
    Older blocks don't run the tensioner and have the 1x sprocket.

Be sure to drill out the pcv valve if it's in the rocker cover, preparing for the catch can.

It's all apart so go with some caddy lifters. The set is less than $150.
    I will look into the pcv valve. I already ordered the ls7 roller lifters got them through the dealer we order all of our parts from for 127 cost. Should I regap the top ring like I see some suggest? Also are rod bolts something I should grab while I am there? Seems like I can build the whole thing "while im there" however the wallet is saying otherwise. Lol

Alan, have you mail order tuned something similar to what I have going on? I am from Jersey so a visit wouldnt be easy although it did cross my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by kewljay223 View Post
    did you add that fan or is it stock??? havnt seen a small one like that before... on the front of the condensor anyway... interesting
    That fan was stock. It is a k2500 with the heavy duty towing package. I think most of what you see will be reconfigured because I want to see a big shiny front mount staring me down instead of what you see now. Lots of work.

www.tabtransmissions.com

Hardened pushrods the stock ones seem to bend too easily.
    Rockers need the trunion upgrade for sure.
    Boost is a little harder on everything so of course a fully built motor is what most everyone wants to do, but the wife and/or wallet gets in the way. Gapping the piston rings is a good idea if you plan on lots of boost like more than 15lbs. Rod bolts are no longer a limiting factor according to many although it use to be the thing to do. Most are finding the stock and even LS2 style rods bend or break first. Tuning is tough with a mail order setup. A good live tune is much much better. I believe George aka "quik" is relatively close to you and has done a lot of tuning including his own small twins setup very similar to yours.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

Also I can't find a thread talking about drilling the pcv. Can anyone lead me to that just so I can make sure I do what needs to be done?

www.tabtransmissions.com

Ecld, thanks man badass! I will order one of those and grab a damper.

I have decided to do the bearings just because I noticed some wear on the cam bearings so because it is out and in my face im just going to do all of them when I break it down to clean it. Any recommendations on those? I use clevite and durabond on a lot of the transmissions I build but figured I would ask if anyone has good luck with a certain bearing kit for the LQ4?

Crazy it had only 56k and I see wear. My Dad has an 04 Yukon Denali his LQ4 had 330,000 miles before we retired it and it was all due to the 7 and 8 roller lifters failed and pitted the cam. His engine looked cleaner when we pulled it apart to inspect.

Ok now due to the money I may be changing my mind and reconsider going with twin Magnums instead of spending the loot on Precision or Garretts. Looks like a lot of guys had good luck with them and seems like Nelson uses them on a lot of builds. Question is who is the supplier of choice for them? I contacted one person who sold them but the convo turned more into going with Turbonetics and he was tuning it and installing meth which was not the route I really want to go.

Any other words of wisdom? Lol. Im like a sponge with this project and have been doing a lot of homework. The truck is not being built to be a race truck its more have decent whp, be fun to drive and show well.

www.tabtransmissions.com

What about CRXracing on eBay? They make reliable inexpensive turbos. I think they are under $400 each.

As for the unusual wear on the motor I wonder if it was idled a lot. I have seen some 12 year old motors that had 300k on them that looked factory clean. I have seen a 53k 6 year old motor that had insane idle hours on it that looked trashed.
    Last edited by kerrige; 01-16-2014 at 01:36 AM.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

+ Reply to Thread