+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: boost vs bolt on's

haha i had a feeling this thread would get a lot of hits and opinions. im glad nitrous was brought up. i forgot to mention that. and i agree, thats definately the cheapest/easiest HP you can buy. now if there was a way to just keep the bottle full all the time...

im by no means trying to make my truck a daily race truck. im just trying to get an idea of how you all decide. it looks like there really isnt a choice, as it seems most start off small and the power becomes an addiction that you just need to keep feeding until one day you realize your DD is now a drag truck. lol

but 3500-5000 for a beginner turbo kit? that seems way high. i can see that maybe if everything is brand new and its all brand name parts with all the bells and whistles. but a decent used turbo with all the basic NECESSARY stuff, and your own fab work, i could see a few grand. thats def comprable to a set of heads, cam, intake, and headers that will yield the same hp but with the turbo, you can always up the psi. not to mention you can always turn the boost off and get some decent gas mileage and not worry about idle or power brakes with a massive cam...

im just thinking out loud here. like i said, im new to this. keep the input coming!
    Like Tumbler in "Gone in 60" I'll drive anything with wheels or without

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

Don't forget about the cost of beefing up the trans and rear end.
    99 rcsb silverado...... boosted.

Quote Originally Posted by jansen View Post
    Don't forget about the cost of beefing up the trans and rear end.
    while that's true, Im not really counting that in the question as that will need to be done regardless which way you choose to make power

I'm planning on building a turbo kit for my 99. I'll be keeping a look out for used parts when the time comes to help keep the budget in check. I have an 80e ready to go in, so I should have no problems running 10 psi which is what I plan to boost the little 4.8 to. I'm not wanting a race truck either, just a little more for towing.
    99 Silverado 4.8l : Soon to be 80E swapped, then 6.0 swapped, ......
    05 Yukon Denali 6.0l : Nelson Performance Tune, ......
    8X S10 Blazer on a 8X 3/4 ton frame : 5.3l swapped, Nelson Performance tune, Schoenfeld LT's, 226/226 .598/.598 112, TH350, planetary doubler, NP 205, locker, spool, 38's, ......
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksss46 View Post
    couldn't agree more. its like boobs you'll get a C and end up wanting a D...just get the bigger one and be happy

+ Reply to Thread