+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello

Hello

New to this Forum and cant wait to do my swap; I own a 94 GMC extended cab with a 5.7 (mild cam and headers)with an o/drive tranny and 10 bolt.I will be swapping in a 6.0 next year with an 4l80!!! Here's where I am lost. Its a pretty big and heavy truck I guess so I wont be drag racing at the track at all(will probably be putting in a cam and headers for sure) and I want the o/d tranny for cruising to new cities but I am not sure what to use for a rear diff. and gears. I dont know if its worth spending any money on my 10 bolt(no posi(yet)but has 3.73 gears)and I have a Ford 9 inch just sitting in my yard(would have to tear into it and rebuild it)but I also have access to a 1966 12 bolt with 3.73 gears and posi---only problem with that is that it is 6 lug and I have 5 lug(so new axles).My big question is what gears and what rearend should I use to NOT have any trouble or at least the lest amount of problems with a motor and tranny like I will have !!!!Thanks Guys--Looking forward to hearing from you !!!

I guess I did forget to say that I am already running a 20 inch tire !!! Anyone that has done a build !! Not in a hurry but just really want the comments of people that have done this swap so far and would of noticed or done something different !! Thanks
    Last edited by Dobok; 12-27-2013 at 04:39 PM.

If you do the lq4 bolt ons like mentioned, 212/218 low lift cam, 2600-2800 stall, and 3.73-4.10s to move the heavy truck. Since you don't plan to drag race and just wanting to daily skip the locker if you want. Not common around here but saves you some coin for fuel upgrades and proper tuning. Site owner Allen(farmtruc) owns Nelson performance. His new harness guy has a screen name too think it's Roy@np don't qoute me tho. That'll be the perfect harness for your swap.

There are tons and tons of setups you could do but all depend on money and if and when you decide to make it for drag racing. Dbrods has a ext cab obs with a boosted 5.3 and that thing moves out so weight isn't really the problem if the setup is right to compensate for it.

+ Reply to Thread