+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: tranny issue, need some help figuring it out

Thanks kewl, I appreciate the help/info

fastest,
    It was originally and still is happening going into 4th/OD. It was a slight shudder but noticeable, it seems to be more pronounced after the new converter was installed.
    Now, it does it going roughly 30/35mph and it also makes a rattling sound, like metal is rattling together.

When I went for a ride with one of the mechanics before everything was installed to diagnose the situation, we were at a red light and it had a rough spot in the idle. It did it a couple of times. I asked "did you feel that" he replied "yes" I asked "could that be a mis" he replied "no, its just old". I didn't say anything back but was like WTF is that supposed to mean. Its an 07 not a 97.
    From all the info I have been gathering, a mis can cause the converter to unlock and also cause a shudder.
    I bought new plugs and wires, I'll be installing them today or tomorrow.

when the old plugs are out, check the gap. it should be .040 to .045 inch if n/a

Thanks blacstar, I appreciate the info.

It rained for most of the day, I couldn't get the passenger rear out before dark. Is there a trick to this? Seriously?

Pulled the plugs-n-wires in the order laid out. 1 and 7s prongs were stuck to the plugs.
    I checked all gaps on used plugs, they ranged from .47 to .50. All new plugs (AC Delco 41-110) were all gapped to .45. I hope this is not a problem, from all the info given they should be .40.

yeah its a lil limited on space. on some you can go thru the wheel well.

Well, finally finished my plugs n wires. That rear passenger plug kicked my ass all over the place, haha.

Unfortunately it did not resolve my shudder/vibration. Though from the limited amount of driving I did, it did get rid of that rough spot in the idle.

Someone had mentioned "replacing the TCC valve in the valve body with on on/off valve, e.g. the Fitzall. Most (all?) aftermarket converters prefer an on/off valve anyway."
    I'm not sure but I had a Transgo shift kit Jr installed, not sure if that replaced said part with said part, hah.

I am not sure what to do now. I may have to give in and bring it to a dealer for them to scan it.
    Any ideas?

tcc solenoid isn't in the valvebody, it's towards the front of the trans but accessible with the pan removed.
    instead of replacing it; have the diag guy command full lockup and look at pressures with the scanner.
    a lot of stuff can be done before tearing into something; saves tons of money and you get closer to the issue.

key is; having someone competent enough to do all this with the right tools. i know that's tough to do.

I ended up bringing to a locale dealer.
    I was fortunate enough to drive it with there lead tech. He felt and heard everything through every gear. THANKFULLY, hah.
    He in turn took it out with another tech and a scan tool.

I'm going to wait until Monday to hear back from the shop for there results before I jump to conclusions.
    They will get me a new converter if need be.
    Last edited by Tig; 01-03-2014 at 07:38 PM.

it sounds to me like you need a new transmission. i went through about 10 4l60e.
    6.0 MAX Blown

Well, thankfully I don't need a new tranny.
    The torque converter was the original problem. It was also the reason for me to think I had 4:10 gears.
    It never locked up and I was cruising at 2200rpm at highway speeds when I should've been around 1600.

Now onto problem number 2 why it was shaking after the new parts were installed.
    Turned out to be the displacement on demand/active fuel management, awesome.
    That has been tuned out

I will have my car back tomorrow, finally.

Got it back.
    Not only did they put 70+ miles on my Tahoe, they used ALL of my gas and didn't replenish any of it, nice.
    Driving to the gas station, it happened again. I'm at a loss for words.
    Its weird, when its cold nothing happens. When it warms up the converter seems to lock up around 35mph, it shakes and rattles pretty loud until I get over 43/45mph or I get on the gas. It also has a drone.
    I will not be going back.
    I got in contact with an actual transmission shop referred to me by a friend and am in the process of making an appointment.

+ Reply to Thread