+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help with Engine stand

Need help with Engine stand

Hello Guys,

Noob here tryin to get my motor up on the stand this weekend and and the support arms started bending pretty badly. I put some pics below to show how I tried bolting it on. What do I have wrong? I pulled it back off immediately and have it rested in a support on the floor for the time being.

Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

-PB
    "Behind every Great Man, there is a Ford trying to catch up" -PB

Thats weird all the engine stands ive seen have rectangular tubing for the arms. Everything looks good to me. Engine stand looks like it was made to hold 4 cylinder motors though, maybe time for a new one lol.

4.8, TSP 220, 6L90 swap, 3400 Stall, 4.10s w/30" drag radial and T76 @ 16lbs.
    Best ET 11.54@114 w 1.52 60ft
    Raceweight 4905 lbs.

Get a real engine stand. Not a homemade one.

And a quality one at that. No $59.99 super duper on special POS's
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

I think the problem is hardware. Looks like the bolts are bending, not the arms. Get some new grade 8 bolts and make sure things are tight.

Thanks Guys. Yeah it is a bit old, it was passed to me from a friend when I moved into my house a couple months back. I was hoping it would be strong enough. I will try the bolts and if that doesnt help I will pony up the cash for a new one.
    "Behind every Great Man, there is a Ford trying to catch up" -PB

1) The mounting plate should only have 4 holes in it, not slots.
    2) The arms going from the mounting plate to the bell housing bots should be 1"X3/8" flat plate bent in a "U" shape with the pipe welded at the open end of the "U".
    3) The middle of the "U" gives the sliding adjustability needed to mount to multiple shaped bell housing flanges. I made my own this way and it was extremely strong. I have had big blocks and everything in between on mine and it never even flinched. Years ago I took a picture of me and my brother standing on top of an old 283 that was mounted to it. The old stand took it in stride.
    '93 Chevy 1500 4X4 ECLB with a '99 Silverado LQ4 6.0 and '99 Escalade 4L60E. SOLD IT!!

New toy: 2001 2500 HD 4X4 Extended Cab Long Bed

John

Looks like ur upper arms r way too long. Either shorten the arms so the bolts are at the top of the slots or better yet drill another set of holes at the top of the slot. Use 1/2" bolts and bolt them tight to the plate. Easy fix!

+ Reply to Thread