+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 68 c/10 5.3/4L60e swap "Project Black Cherry"

Talking 68 c/10 5.3/4L60e swap "Project Black Cherry"

My name is Steven and I am new to the c/10 lifestyle. I have never owned a truck before, let alone a classic one. I recently purchased my 68 Chevy c/10 with a 5.3/4L60e swap. The guy i bought it from was going through a financial hardship and had already done most of the work to the truck. The cab corners, and rocker panels have been replaced as well as removing the gas tank from the rear seat and welding off the factory filler location.

I will have tons of questions about building my truck to my liking and figured this was the best place to seek out the help from fellow chevy truck enthusiast.

I have owned several nice cars, in my mind, in the past and love to learn new things about different types of vehicles.

Here are some photos as the trucks sits at the moment. He did most of the body work and had the cab and bed already painted, so i may as well paint the front end to match, and enjoy the truck the current color it is before taking it all apart and going with a two tone orange/white cheyenne look.

I am a San Antonio, Texas resident & i'll try post some other pics in the next few days.

-Steven

welcome and nice truck

Pretty sweet truck. I wish I could come across one like that.

Anyway, welcome to the site. Any questions you may have, just ask.
    '93 Chevy 1500 4X4 ECLB with a '99 Silverado LQ4 6.0 and '99 Escalade 4L60E. SOLD IT!!

New toy: 2001 2500 HD 4X4 Extended Cab Long Bed

John

Thanks guys. I need advice as to what parts to order.

Need the following.

-Raditor/ with fans
    -Driveshaft
    -Fuel tank/pump/lines etc.
    -Brake booster
    -Better gear box

Only one place for the shaft. To the right our sponsor.
    I believe a four inch diameter won't fit due to the support across the frame.
    Unless you open the support hole up; we did on a '68 and it works.

Pick the pump you need based on the hp level of your engine. Most offer an internal and external pump.

Got a radiator, now just need a fan kit and other little hardware. Anyone know a certain part # for a upper and lower hose i can purchase?

Also, I noticed when i tried mocking it uo, that the passenger side mounting bracket on the bottom of the radiator support didnt line up. Is there a way to remove this bracket? Pic of bracket below.

I purchased a new radiator support with all new mounting hardware. Just wanted to see if it fit, or how tight of a fit it would me.

these were just some mock up fans i used to check clearance. Anyone have a nice fan set they recommend? Can i just get some from a certain veh at a junkyard?

I like the ford windstar fans. They look pretty good and move a lot of air.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

Quote Originally Posted by kerrige View Post
    I like the ford windstar fans. They look pretty good and move a lot of air.
    Would you happen to have a part # on them? How much do they normally go for?

Sorry for the late response here. As for the upper hose, a stock 99-06 GM truck hose will work. I don't remember the exact number I used on the lower hose, but I just went to my local NAPA and searched through till I found something that would work. I'll dig through my stuff and see if I can find the part # I used.

It looks like the radiator you have doesn't really fit as intended, but could be made to work. I know this guy builds some high quality stuff. http://www.rndfabrication.com/C10middle.html

For the fans, there's lots of options depending on budget. The link above has them. There are several vendors at 67-72chevytrucks.com that offer electric fan kits. Dave's Truck Parts in Claremont, NC has a pretty nice radiator and dual fan setup with shroud, controllers, switches and all to operate it. It's a bolt in system.

For a brake booster, I used this one form POL. http://www.performanceonline.com/196...TER-KIT-16667/

For the fuel tank, I personally have a rear tank from Doc's Kustom Tanks, but I'm still carbureted with an external fuel pump. A lot of guys use tanks from Boyd's Welding. They can be made to use whatever style/brand pump you wish to use. Fuel lines are easiest to build with -6 or -8 AN lines.

I assume you mean a power steering gearbox. If so, the stock box works fine unless you need quick ratio. ECE sells both stock replacement and quick ratio boxes. Lee power steering can build you a pretty stout gearbox. http://lee-powersteering.com NoLimit also sells a rack and pinion conversion kit that's pretty slick. nolimit.net
    Last edited by Slick68; 11-09-2013 at 10:36 AM.
    Matt

Thanks to all American soldiers for their service and sacrifices.

BTW, I also noticed your power steering pump has the outlet for a hydroboost brake booster. You can pick those up fairly inexpensive at salvage yards from 99-01? Chevy/ GMC full size trucks.
    Matt

Thanks to all American soldiers for their service and sacrifices.

+ Reply to Thread