+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 14 bolt swap questions

14 bolt swap questions

Hey guys, I have searched for days about this and I just cant find exactly what Im looking for. I have a 99 new body style 2wd 1500 silverado with a turbo 6.0. I blew up the stock 10 bolt in it, now I'm looking at doing a 14 bolt swap. I have 6 lug wheels and would really like to keep the 6 lugs so Ive decided to go with a 88-98 14 bolt sf. I also have disk brakes and would really like to keep it disk.

My question is, is there a way to use the rotors and calipers I already have and just get the brackets or am I going to have to get a whole kit with other calipers, rotors and everything?

Also, I am planning on building the engine some more, running methanol and running more boost someday. Aiming for somewhere around 700hp. How much power have you all seen on a stock 14 bolt sf? Ive had people tell me itll handle it no problem, not to sure about that. Im wondering if I should plan on beefing it up before I run more boost?

Thanks in advance, I could really use some help on this.

some pics of the blown 10 bolt

Last edited by scottmc33; 10-03-2013 at 03:39 AM.

I would leave the drums on the sf and throw the disc brakes in the trash. The drums have 2x as much stopping power then the disc, and you can run a 15" wheel with no grinding on the calipers. Also you can " adjust " the brakes clamping force to be less aggressive for burnouts, and you don't have to worry about the backing plates rotting out like the disc version does.

something to think about with drums. you break a c-clip and your axle will come flying out, with disks you break a c-clip and axle is still held in place by the caliber. THis happened to me
    2002 Lightning - GT headed 5.5Litre w/ Twin 7665s
    2002 Silverado - 427Lsx w/ Twin gt4202s
    2010 Silverado crewcab Z71 - 5.3litre w/ procharger
    2000 Wrangler - 5.3litre with some stance
    2014 Xsport- 3.5 Eco boost
    412 Motorsports

it ain't that I'm too big to listen to the rumors, It's just that I'm too damn big to pay attention to 'em..That's the difference

+ Reply to Thread