+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Cam for 4.8 L for significant hp gain?

Cool Best Cam for 4.8 L for significant hp gain?

Hello guys,

I have done some reading on here and found this is the most informative site so I thought I would join !

I have a 1960 chevy shortbox where the old man and me are dropping a 4.8L in as we got a smoking deal on a 03 chevy write off.

What the best proven cam for the 4.8. without changing too too much? I'm looking to put a more aggressive cam in, and reprogram the engine when it is repinned. Any recommendations and suggestions are greatly appreciated !!! This won't be a daily driver so I'm not too concerned about hauling anything but then again I don't wanna blow up the insides.

Thanks again !

I would think something in the 220/224 575/588 with an lsa 112 would work nice. Make sure to upgrade springs and pushrods for sure. I'm no expert so maybe some more experienced members will chime in. Now before picking any cam for any engine it would be best to know what other supporting mods you are going to do. Such as stall size, gear ratio, headers and so forth. Once all that is determined you could then better determine what would be best for your particular build.

cjriojas:if you're weather man is a 5 gallon bucket, YOUUUUUUUUUUU might be a redneck
    danger_ranger83: I see now why it cost so much to get a harness made... FML
    2boostedSilverado: I like Casey's rear end, I want to chat with him about it

Smile Thanks, still seeking more info

Thanks for the advice, that link is a 5.3 not a 4.8.

I am not wanting to put a stall converter in but as i need to get the motor re-pinned i will be programming it to the specifics of the motor and the new cam i finally pick. The 4.8L will have a new cam, long tube headers and exhaust from the headers back as the 1960 will pass inspection in Canada without the cats as its a 1960.

Any more advice on cams and over all easier install instant hp would be appreciated. I am hoping with a cam and the exhaust without the cats i would be pushing 325hp, thoughts?

Thanks again for helping a newbie out

4.8/5.3 same rules apply. Look at your block, it's even stamped 4.8/5.3
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

I would go with a XR265HR 212/218 .522/.529 114+2 or a similar custom grind. Without a converter and it being a 4.8L you don't want to over cam it.
    2000 GMC Sierra 1500 RCSB 2wd - 454 LSX powered drag truck...

Comp 269LR-HR12. Same cam in running in my 5.3 crew cab. Makes good torque, even better in a 4.8. But you will need a higher stall than factory, I'm running a 2800.
    Truck: 05 GMC CCSB SLT Z71,
    Go Faster: 5.3, 219/227 .607/.614 112, milled heads, eBay CAI, Circle D 2800, 3030 Built 60E, E-Fans, 3030 Tuned, LT's, Spintech Muffler, DuraGrip w/ 3.73's
    Look Better: 10K HID's lows & fogs, tinted Chevy tails

325 at the crank I'm guessing. Of your not wanting to run a stall the 212/218 mentioned earlier would do good. I ran that in my 5.3 for a while without a stall and had very good drivability.some good 1 7/8 headers 3 inch exhaust with y or h pipe. Now the most bang for your buck is going to spray! The stock bottom end should take 125 pretty easy if tuned correctly.

Custom ground version of Comp 54-450-11 which is 206/212 @.050, Have it ground at 112LSA and you could even add few degrees of center line advance. It would sound good and actually make power without a converter or gears.
    2010 Silverado 4.8 Ext Cab 4x4
    Cam, Stall, 4.88's

Thanks for the advice guys !!! When would I need to change the pushrods and springs ? What im trying to say is whats the most aggressive cam without installing the pushrods or over camming the motor ? I love the sound of an aggressive cam and if i can get some serious hp gains that would be awesome.

Thanks again ! any more guys want to chime in?

+ Reply to Thread