+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thinking seriously about buying a 2014 silverado

Thinking seriously about buying a 2014 silverado

Im thinking seriously about buying a new 2014 silverado but im torn between 2wd and 4wd. I really like the idea of launching in 4wd on the street and i do use 4 wheel from time to time. Anybody have any insight, or preference when it comes to making a nice little all around street truck. Goals with the truck are a reliable, agressive daily driver (I only drive 7 miles to and from work every day all highway miles), 12 second time slips, and still capable of pulling around 5000lbs maybe once a month.

I have never had a single cab truck to hotrod with so I dont know what kind of mods its going to take to make 12 second time slips. I was hoping an agressive cam, long tube's, 3200 stall and a custom tune would get me close. I dont know maybe im crazy.

Any suggestions from people who have had similar setups in single cabs would be nice.
    EATIN' FORDS AND TUNDRAS

RIP 2005 VHO ecsb 6.0HO, Comp Cam, Nelson Tune, OBX LT's.

The new trucks are brand new territory and mods have been minimal at best thus far. However, a 14 crew cab 5.3 has gone deep 14s with a tune and cat back leading me to believe it will be possible soon to achieve 12s. I would 100% wait on the 6.2 before buying. As far as 4wd verse 2wd it depends if you plan to use the 4wd. If you pull a boat out of a steep lake with regularity or go through mud or snow then its worth it. If you live in Texas with only doing light offroading once or twice a year you don't need it. Its great to have, but I doubt you will use it enough to justify the mpg drop and extra cost to buy and insure.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

I think it will all depend on what your mods will be. Do you foresee yourself not being able to hook in 2wd?

As of now the 6.2 will not be offered with the single cabs. nor will the new 8" touch screen. Im sure I will end up buying the truck with the 5.3 and in a few years they will come out with a ss version and more avalable options in the single cabs. My problem is I need to either buy a new truck now or plan on putting some serious cash into my current truck that isnt worth what it will take to fix. I would generally wait a year or two before buying a new body style but my truck wont hold up that long. I know there isnt much aftermarket stuff right now but im sure that will come with time.

As far as the 4 wheel drive part goes, I use it every now and again at the deer lease or when i get my lawn mower stuck. Mower weighs 1200 lbs so there is no pushing it or picking it up when it gets stuck. Im selling my boat so no more trips to the boat ramp.

Does anyone know what kind of mileage drop I should expect to see 4x4 vs 2wd?

I like the idea behind Parrish's silverado although I dont plan to go to those extremes who knows if it will get a turbo or not one day.
    EATIN' FORDS AND TUNDRAS

RIP 2005 VHO ecsb 6.0HO, Comp Cam, Nelson Tune, OBX LT's.

+ Reply to Thread