+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.3 turbo build questions?

5.3 turbo build questions?

Been away for a while life gets hectic. But going a little diffrent direction with my 5.3 build that I've been planning for years. First off this is going to take me a long time to do so patients is not a problem have to buy a little here and there as I go. Reliability is not my main concern going to be mostly a track vehicle with little street driving. Could be my daily I live less than a half mile to my work. My plans 5.3 floating wrist pin rods with flat top piston, 317 heads ,victor Jr efi intake ,megasquirt ms3 with 3x board to control everything, 2 speed powerglide with tansbake ,10 inch 3500 converter, single garret tv7512 with .96 ar exhaust housing all going in a light car or truck haven't decided yet lol got several to chose from. Now for my questions. How much boost will zo6 cam and yellow valve springs handle? How much boost can the stock 317 valves handle? Also forgot to mention going to rebuild the motor with new bearing and rings gapped and clearances set for boost with arp bolts and arp head studs with the best set of head gaskets I can. Don't realy have a hp goal in mind just going to be using what I got and selling stuff I don't need to get the stuff I do need. What do u guys think about this setup? The only things I haven't decided on is cam and springs. Also I wanna push this thing to the ragged edge and hope and pray the boost gods are in my favor lol.
    Last edited by cjcalhoun; 07-22-2013 at 09:19 PM.

I don't see any reason the 317s and ls6 stuff can't handle as much as you can hit it with however the zo6 cam will only flow well enough to get to 6-700hp you will want more cam eventually and you might run into valve float without better springs. Brian tooley platinums would be an excellent choice. Seems like a great build with a ton of funs parts. I think the speed inc TU1 boost cam that 02camaross uses would be perfect for this build.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

Awsome thanks for the input. Also how far in the boosted hp range will stock 5.3 lifters handle and what's the best way to check them to make shure there still good?

Quote Originally Posted by kerrige View Post
    I don't see any reason the 317s and ls6 stuff can't handle as much as you can hit it with however the zo6 cam will only flow well enough to get to 6-700hp you will want more cam eventually and you might run into valve float without better springs. Brian tooley platinums would be an excellent choice. Seems like a great build with a ton of funs parts. I think the speed inc TU1 boost cam that 02camaross uses would be perfect for this build.
    Who cares what the cam will "flow". If you wanna run a big turbo with big boost you'll surpass 700 hp easily with a zo6 cam.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmerichLSx View Post
    Who cares what the cam will "flow". If you wanna run a big turbo with big boost you'll surpass 700 hp easily with a zo6 cam.
    Wondering cause I have a ls2 zo6 spec cam,yellow valve springs and ls2 front timing cover. Just wondering if I should use this stuff or sell it and buy something diffrent. I wanna boost it till it blows then back off a little LOL

http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/engin...g/viewall.html

I like this artical. Yeah they swapped out the cam and some things but only because they wanted big power to see what would break first. It's forced air your going to make power no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmerichLSx View Post
    Yes however he zo6 cam will hold it back significantly verse an aftermarket cam we are talking a difference of 80-100hp at 15lbs of boost.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

That article and hotrods big bang theory article is what has made me want to do this and seeing everyone elso make huge power.

It really comes down to how much you really want to spend for a little bit more power when you already have decent stuff. Bang for buck is the way I see it and it sounds like you're on a tight budget.

Yes sir I am. I have a complete 5.3,the transmision and converter,the turbo,317 heads and the valve train components I mentioned earlier. Also have a racetronix wideband setup.
    Last edited by cjcalhoun; 07-23-2013 at 07:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread