+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: No brake lights or windshield wipers after swap

No brake lights or windshield wipers after swap

So I need some easy electrical help. I have not been able to get my brake lights or my windshield wipers to work after the install of the 5.3. I have rear night lights and headlights. The fuses are all good. What is the easy fix to this? I know I am missing something simple like a ground wire.

My build thread with detailed info and pics if this helps answer any questions.
    http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...ap-thread.html
    1994 Silverado 2 door sport side

Soon to install:
    5.3 LM7, Thumpr Cam, LS6 lifters/springs, LS1 1.7 rockers, 862 heads milled 0.015 and 45 degree cut valves, LS2 timing set, Performer RPM intake, Holley 4150 750cfm carb, MSD 6LS ignition, 2" Primary LT headers 3" X-pipe and two Loudmouth II Mufflers. Vigilante 9.5" 2,800 Stall.

I had a problem on my 94 with intermittent wipers, it turned out to be a broken wire on one of the 2 groundsthat went on the front of the intake. Could be worth looking at.

Definitely a ground somewhere.
    THEY CALL ME G.

AZRAEL

2017 RZR 1000 2 SEATER
    2023 RZR 1000 XP 4
    2008 LTZ DURAMAX 3500
    2023 300S 5.7
    2023 BUICK ENCORE[/B]

The difference between winning and losing, is having a 2nd stage.

i know this is a dumb question but im assuming they were working before correct? it could be a ground problem but what gets me is that you say your parking lights are working..... well there is only one ground that is used for all the rear lights so if your parking lights are working, then the ground is just fine. you didnt mention if your blinkers are working or not. if they DO NOT work, then then i would assume power is not getting back there since they share the same wire as the brake lights and i would re check all fuses including the ones in the cab on the driver side dash. If your blinkers DO work, then im betting your brake relay isnt getting power or is busted or you got wires reversed on the TCC switch when you tapped into it...

im betting your having two seperate issues. it doesnt sound like a ground problem to me. let me know.
    Like Tumbler in "Gone in 60" I'll drive anything with wheels or without

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

Yes the brake lights and wipers were working before. The wipers had the intermittant problem where they would turn on and not turn off right away, but they worked.
    I just confirmed this morning that the following DOES WORK:
    Night driving lights
    Reverse Lights
    Turn Signals

Brake lights DO NOT work. Third brake light also does not work but I don't remember if it worked before.

Before the swap my brake lights stopped working due to the circuit board behine the steering wheel. I replaced that circuit board and wiring harness and the brake switch on the brake pedel which fixed the problem then, so those parts are new. There is a wire somewhere that I did not hook back up is what I am thinking. Does anyone have any pictures of where in the engine bay the ground wires are and the relay? I rewired the grounds on the intake so they should be good.

Soon to install:
    5.3 LM7, Thumpr Cam, LS6 lifters/springs, LS1 1.7 rockers, 862 heads milled 0.015 and 45 degree cut valves, LS2 timing set, Performer RPM intake, Holley 4150 750cfm carb, MSD 6LS ignition, 2" Primary LT headers 3" X-pipe and two Loudmouth II Mufflers. Vigilante 9.5" 2,800 Stall.

I don't have a pic, but there is a thick ground that went on the back of the pass. Head, then two on the front of the intake, mine had one on an intake stud and the other was on the t-stat bolt

also make sure you dont have a blown bulb.
    THEY CALL ME G.

AZRAEL

2017 RZR 1000 2 SEATER
    2023 RZR 1000 XP 4
    2008 LTZ DURAMAX 3500
    2023 300S 5.7
    2023 BUICK ENCORE[/B]

The difference between winning and losing, is having a 2nd stage.

well im not sure why you would have had to mess with the brake wires.... unless you removed the old fuse box and are just using the new one... is that the case??? if not and your still using the old fuse block... then i got a few pics that may help. you can see the upper relay is for your brakes. IIRC this aslo goes to your third brake light.... so either this relay is not getting signal from your brake pedal OR there is no power at the relay to power the lights OR the relay coincidentally went bad but i doubt that. you got a loose power wire somewhere.
    the blue wire that has the shrink tube over it is what comes from the relay and goes to the turn/hazard switch and then to the brake lights.

OOOOORRRRR, LOL, The 1st fuse is bad. this is the one i was talking about on the dash. im sure you checked it but just saying just in case.

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

Awesome pics, I will check this morning when I get off of work. I checked the fuses and all were good and the bulbs are good as they are only 1 year old and were working great the day before the swap.

Soon to install:

oh and i forgot to mention the windshield wipers. you said they have an intermitent type of problem as did i. i thought the blinker/wiper lever switch was going bad and i was going to replace it (which is still a possibility for you) but i googled around before i swapped it and found that this is a common problem on the OBS trucks. i guess whoever manufactured the circuit board the goes on the wiper motor did a crappy solder job and the connections come loose. you can try to resolder but i just picked up a replacement at autozone which is like MAYBE 20 bucks. to me thats better than wasting time with the soldering iron especially since the boards have updated parts on them too. ill see if i can snap a pic of mine (newer one) later. i would try that first i bet thats where your problem lies.

here you go. just take the 3 T20 torx screws off and your in. easy swap

Last edited by kewljay223; 07-02-2013 at 11:45 AM.

CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!

+ Reply to Thread