+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: will stock rear end suffice??

will stock rear end suffice??

as stated, i want to know if my axles will handle the end goal of my build. so i have a few questions before i start purchasing things for what i have now.

i got the new motor in and running and now im about to do the 80e swap to handle the newfound/future turbo power. ive got the g80 rear end with 3.73's. ive looke but cant find a for sure answer on what it can handle. im planning on pushing the 500-550 hp max that the motor can handle in its stock form. so with the 80e, i know im good up until the rear axle.

will the stock unit handle this? for how long? are there bigger splines that still fit with same bolt pattern or will this require custom axels? dont want to change bolt pattern due to my new rims.... if i need to upgrade axels, might as well do gearing at the same time right? what gears would be good for the future setup? i will OCCASIONALLY go to the track but it will be mostly for street so i dont want super steep gears...

sorry for the long post. i just dont know much about the rear ends and what is good for what. i see some of you full blown on what looks like a street truck....are you guys running stock 1500 axles???? i just need to prepare myself on what i need so i dont have to do things twice and spend wasted money if i can plan out my steps.
    Like Tumbler in "Gone in 60" I'll drive anything with wheels or without

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

Please see the carnage thread and all the 10 bolt pics. Some people have luck with them but not me.
    99 rcsb silverado...... boosted.

stock g80 isnt gonna hold, axles will but the rest wont.
    THEY CALL ME G.

AZRAEL
    01 GMC REG CAB BUILDING
    06 SILVERADO SS 80E 3200 YANK LS3 TOP, DD
    2013 POLARIS RANGER CREW LE EPS

The difference between winning and losing, is having a 2nd stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by A PATRIOT View Post
    "MOLON LABE"

From our point I would suggest a good
    Differential unit... And that's about all you
    Honestly would need. With the kinda
    Power number you giving you should be just
    Fine. If you start runing 12 or better I would
    Suggest other ideas

Yeah I was expecting answers like that. Haha. What about the u-joint? Should I be looking for one from a 3/4 ton ? Any suggestions on a setup that I should start looking for? Detroit, any others?

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kewljay223 View Post
    Yeah I was expecting answers like that. Haha. What about the u-joint? Should I be looking for one from a 3/4 ton ? Any suggestions on a setup that I should start looking for? Detroit, any others?
    Auburn makes a good unit if you don't mind chatter,it's called
    The pro series it's very aggressive and the case and internals
    Are seriously stout and its not a paper type clutch it's steel.
    About $550 for this one

The one I install more than any are true tracs... They are good units it has
    The cost is about $450 they have The ability to operate like a conventional diff but will distribute traction evenly to both wheels, but I have seen the abused ones
    And they explode. Lots of moving parts inside.
    My suggestions is the pro series unit.
    O and as far as the u joint I'd leave it be. 1350 is pretty stout already

Stock 10bolt in mine with a trutrac. Been beating it for 7 years. Killed the tru trac finally. Put a new one it. Lived through hundreds of bottles of nitrous on 200+ shots. Last two years been holding a 800+ rwhp setup
    Slowest in Oklahoma...

Quote Originally Posted by ecld_07 View Post
    Stock 10bolt in mine with a trutrac. Been beating it for 7 years. Killed the tru trac finally. Put a new one it. Lived through hundreds of bottles of nitrous on 200+ shots. Last two years been holding a 800+ rwhp setup
    Just curious but are you leaving on a trans brake?
    99 rcsb silverado...... boosted.

With nitrous setup it had a t400 with brake. Now is 80e without
    Slowest in Oklahoma...

cool thanks ill look into them both. i definately need one that distributes power to both wheels since i have som low-pro tires.... need all the traction i can get. but also will slip around corners since this is a dailer driver. so the tru trac sounds like the way to go since its a bit cheaper too. do you know if the auburn unit does the same or just one wheel? ill look into a bit more when i get a chance. just wondering if you knew off hand. thanks for all the help!! thats exactly what i needed to know.

oh yeah, nobody suggested gears.... stick with the 373's for cruising???
    Last edited by kewljay223; 06-13-2013 at 06:23 PM.

CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!

+ Reply to Thread