+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 4l60e converter problem?

4l60e converter problem?

Here is a little back story for my 4l60e. Truck has about 30k on it now and last fall I did a cam swap and sent the pcm to get tuned. When I got some seat time I noticed the lock up couldn't make up its mind and unlock/ lock pretty regular basis. I had to send the pcm/ tcm back to get the speedometer recalibrated for the soon to come gears and asked to see if we could fix the indecisive TCC.

When I got the pcm/ tcm back, installed the 4.88 gears I would have to throttle up to engage the TCC. Also when the converter would lock it was such a positive engagement it felt like a 5th gear which I thought was just me “feeling” more due to the gear ratio. This went on for a little while and it seemed get more difficult to engage the TCC since the unlocked RPMs and locked RPMs were so close.

I called NP about the TCC engagement they said to send it back and it was no problem. I have been putting aside cash to buy a HPT from them to avoid downtime. Recently a new symptom has appeared that makes my think its not the tune. Wide open throttle onto the highway then going to cruising speed it will not engage the TCC no matter what I do. I can play with the throttle, slow down doesn't matter no lock up to be had.

This morning I tried something and got on the freeway hard. As I expected the converter would not lock up and then the MIL came on for a P0741 code (lock up solenoid stuck). I cleared the code and then I got off the next exit and came to a complete stop. I got right back on the highway nice and easy and bam TCC engaged with no problem. I checked my fluid when I got to work and its right where it needs to be. Any Ideas?
    2010 Silverado 4.8 Ext Cab 4x4
    Cam, Stall, 4.88's

Maybe trash in tranny...misfire codes...tb position sensor...
    Slowest in Oklahoma...

The only 2 codes are p0700 and the P0741. I had a cooler line blow off about 2k miles ago, pulled the pan check for grit and changed the filter. When putting it back together I converted to stainless braided lines. I cleaned everything when I did the filter and the fluid is basically still new, I wonder if I should change again just in case?
    Cam, Stall, 4.88's

sounds like a possible faulty converter
    06 rcsb, 6two, 231/235, 4.11, pacesetter, 80e, 14 bolt, Nelson tuned
    2011 rcsb 6two swap in the works with 6l90 and boost
    FARMTRUC CAN GARGLE PEANUT BUTTER

I'm with ray, but I've had my share of problems with 60e's I'd have a tech 2 put on and watch it, could be that damn TCC valve

Thanks for the replies, I am hoping its not the converter since that is more expensive and more work for me to do. I picked up the PWM TCC valve last week and I'm going to throw that in maybe tonight and hopefully that fixes it. If it ends up being the converter maybe Ill throw in something with more stall to make my cam a bit happier. I was looking at getting a custom built ATI but know most of you use Circle D, Yank, Vigilante.
    Cam, Stall, 4.88's

I think it may be the converter but looking for but would like some opinions before I drop the cash on a new stall and do the labor. From what I understand there are 2 TCC solenoids in the transmission, a PWM and the main solenoid. The PWM lockup makes the transition between locked and unlocked seamless.

I installed the new PWM solenoid over the weekend and it appears the RPMs are dropped off like the converter is locked but none of my monitoring programs will confirm this for me. I drove it about a hundred miles and could not feel the lock up at any point. Before this problem happened when the converter would lock it was so drastic it felt like I shifted into a new gear. Can you guys tell when your truck locks up or is it pretty smooth? Another thing that makes it tough is my steep gear ratio since the unlocked and locked RPM are so close at cruising speeds.

After about 100 miles the p0741 code came back but it did not act differently. When I installed the solenoid I changed fluid and filter that was in there about 1500 miles and there was no debris or signs of internal damages. I am really not that hard on the truck and have never towed with the converter locked so I just have a hard time believing the converter is bad. I don’t want to throw a new stall in there and end up with the same problem. Any input welcome and worst case scenario I will be calling Circle D…
    Cam, Stall, 4.88's

Did you find any debris in the pan?
    99 rcsb silverado...... boosted.

Filter and fluid was clean.
    Cam, Stall, 4.88's

Maybe someone else here can answer this. I called np few days ago and haven't got a reply yet. I'm sure they're busy in the shop. So triying to diagnosis this thing I went out to my buddies shop to use Alldata an his scan tool see if the solenoids could be activated. I was following a flow chart and it had me clear my Trans adaptive learning in the 4l60e since I replace solenoid. Didn't think anything of it and headed home. Almost 20 mile later I 1/2 throttled away from a stop sign and the Trans was slipping bad 1-2 2-3 shift. Never did this before and even on the way up to the shop. Then I thought to myself when I cleared the adaptive learning table did I delete my tune and did they turn this feature off so it won't relearn? Like I said left them a message early in the week with no answer so hopefully one of you could let me know if I just need to drive it so the tcm learns how to shift again or i need np to fix it.
    Cam, Stall, 4.88's

+ Reply to Thread