+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what's wrong with y'all?!

what's wrong with y'all?!

i've dug all over the interwebz and the only GMT800 SUV i can find with a manual trans is a turbo 5.3 avalanche that did the ZF 6-spd forever ago.
    there're a number of GMT400 tahoes & a couple 'burbs that did nv4500s (or a T56 in one or two), but that's old news, too.

i know it's procedurally the same as doing one in a truck, but i want some people to grow a pair, get off their auto-hating butts, and make a manual trans GMT820/830 SUV so i can see it!!

as the months go by, this is becoming more of an option for me because i REFUSE to drive an automatic (my wife hates them, too), and within the next few years, my RCSB won't be enough room if we start having kids. that only leaves 99-00 4.3/4.8 ECSB 1/2tons or a 3/4ton... but i don't want a 6.0 as a DD in that heavy of a truck meaning i'd have to find a 2500HD ECSB with a duramax & stick for what i want - which is just as hard to find as an ECSB 1500 with a stick (but at least they were made all the way up through 06).

that gets me thinking... well why not just buy something else to fit our needs & put a manual in it? a tahoe would be fine - i know it's just as heavy as a 2500, but it's got more interior room. a bolt-on 5.3 would be a decent compromise between DDing and pulling my car every few months. slap a nv4500 under there & call it a day - holds more power than the 4L60 could wrap it's head around, can pull all day, and is just crazy-unique. i just don't want to deal with the gauge cluster swap, steering column swap, pulling wires from the harness, putting the jumper wire in the fuse block for the clutch safety (actually, that's pretty easy), installing a pedal/MC, cutting the brake pedal, changing from the auto t-case to stick, swapping t-case input (or it might just be easier to find a 3/4 ton np241 still attached to the trans), and all the other headaches associated with wiping every trace of the stupid crap-o-matic that came stock.

it'd be nice to see one completed just for inspiration
    00 FRC - just top end, exhaust, and a hot-air intake
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd
    ↓ click the pic for the build ↓

Solid post. Would read again.

95 C1500 LM7, built 4L60e, Circle D 3200, LT's, Nelson tune, open differential, 3.42, and LS1 e-fans. Tractionless

Quote Originally Posted by silverado_lover View Post
    Solid post. Would read again.
    looks like you did read again
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd

the avalanche that was mentioned is a and excellent thread to choose from. its should cover everything needed.

i understand he covered everything thoroughly - i read it many times years ago.
    what i'm wondering is why more people don't do stick-shift tahoes & suburbans
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by zebra View Post
    i understand he covered everything thoroughly - i read it many times years ago.
    what i'm wondering is why more people don't do stick-shift tahoes & suburbans
    Because we are into performance in a straight line. Automatics are faster and most of us don't have SUVs.

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

I'd take a 6.0 and a 4500 in an OBS 2 door Tahoe/Blazer.
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by pl4yboy View Post
    Because we are into performance in a straight line. Automatics are faster and most of us don't have SUVs.
    straight line, shmait line
    i'm talking about a family truck that's actually fun whenever you drive. autos are so boring and uninvolved, not to mention that everybody knows 4L60s are trash

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    I'd take a 6.0 and a 4500 in an OBS 2 door Tahoe/Blazer.
    that's more overplayed than a Rick Roll (maybe not the 6.0 swap, but the OBS). shoot, even come of the diesels came stock with 4500s. i want to see a NBS - better built, rides nicer, looks better (to me), and is just better in general. something along the lines of this one here
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd

i know it's procedurally the same as doing one in a truck, but i want some people to grow a pair, get off their auto-hating butts, and make a manual trans GMT820/830 SUV so i can see it!!
    i REFUSE to drive an automatic (my wife hates them, too), and within the next few years, my RCSB won't be enough room if we start having kids.

slap a nv4500 under there & call it a day - holds more power than the 4L60 could wrap it's head around, can pull all day, and is just crazy-unique. i just don't want to deal with the gauge cluster swap, steering column swap, pulling wires from the harness, putting the jumper wire in the fuse block for the clutch safety (actually, that's pretty easy), installing a pedal/MC, cutting the brake pedal, changing from the auto t-case to stick, swapping t-case input (or it might just be easier to find a 3/4 ton np241 still attached to the trans), and all the other headaches associated with wiping every trace of the stupid crap-o-matic that came stock.

it'd be nice to see one completed just for inspiration
    straight line, shmait line
    autos are so boring and uninvolved, not to mention that everybody knows 4L60s are trash

that's more overplayed than a Rick Roll (maybe not the 6.0 swap, but the OBS). shoot, even come of the diesels came stock with 4500s. i want to see a NBS - better built, rides nicer, looks better (to me), and is just better in general.
    You can be the first. Sounds like you have enough motivation and inspiration.
    "ALisSa1 Silverado"
    1990 Chevrolet RCSB 2002 Chevrolet Camaro LS1/4L60E
    Scrimpin Ain't Easy
    ( . Y . )

+ Reply to Thread