+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 98 5.7 vortec swap to LM7 5.3l need wiring help

Does the wiring for the temp and oil pressure go to the gauges or?. That link still work? says page not found.
    Last edited by shmiet; 03-11-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Do the Chevs use a BCM(body control module)? I know my swap is different, but I needed to use the BCM out of my wreck to power up the dash guages. Some worked, but not all until I had hooked up the BCM. And that included the diag reader plug.
    1978 C20 short bed pickup, GEN111, 4L60E trans.

They do have a BCM; however, I haven't read about anybody having issues with that, when doing this swap. It seems to be an issue with the gauges not being able to communicate with the ls pcm gauge signals. I think i need to splice into the tach and speedo wires. Im not sure how the oil pressure signal wires up- from what a post in this thread says, i can connect directly to the sensor, as the pcm doesn't require the signal. And coolant temp will require a obs coolant sensor and a ls coolant sensor, one for the new pcu and one for the gauge. And i can use the 896 pcm and remove the "black box" and use the black boxes- brake, fuel pump, and check engine light

Can someone please confirm this? I really appreciate everyones help. I apologize that some of this may be trival for you

i have a stand alone harness & it has a wire for speedo & a wire for tach. speedo works but my tach is off. i need to put a resistor inline. oil pressure is just ran off the sensor straight to my gauge. i'm using the LS sensor with a single wire plug i bought off ebay. for coolant you can run the factory LS sensor on the driver side that will go to the ECU & a separate sensor on the passenger side to run to your gauge. you will have to buy an adapter for this, or you can buy a 3 pin coolant sensor with a mini harness off ebay. it's one sensor that runs to the ECU & has a separate wire for a gauge. that's what i have in my truck & will be running the swap on my IS300 swap. you can look through my build thread & see the parts i used, should be linked in my signature.

Sweet build man. Freaking clean. So did you get rid of the black box or did you run them together?

thanks man. i'm only running the LS ECU. i don't have ABS or Neutral safety switch & without the NSS my gear indicator lights don't work & reverse lights don't work. i'll figure that out eventually.

Thanks for all the good info. I noticed that you were looking at the weather sea,l with all the wires going through it. DId you have to remove any of the wires from that? I have got around to ripping the harness out yet. And did you swap the brake, check engine, and fuel pump wires from the old ecu to the new harness? And the 896 pcm will work right?
    Last edited by shmiet; 03-11-2013 at 11:25 PM.

Try this link for the coolant temp sensor:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet....php?p=2667060
    '93 Chevy 1500 4X4 ECLB with a '99 Silverado LQ4 6.0 and '99 Escalade 4L60E. SOLD IT!!

New toy: 2001 2500 HD 4X4 Extended Cab Long Bed

John

Thanks, im definitely going to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by shmiet View Post
    Thanks for all the good info. I noticed that you were looking at the weather sea,l with all the wires going through it. DId you have to remove any of the wires from that? I have got around to ripping the harness out yet. And did you swap the brake, check engine, and fuel pump wires from the old ecu to the new harness? And the 896 pcm will work right?
    i didn't do anything to the brake wires. the new harness from Nelson came with an OBD2 port & light. i just tapped into the factory CEL so i have the one in the gauges & one under the hood. fuel pump just needed 12 volts that comes from the new harness.

i think i removed most of the wires on the passenger side plug. that plug is a little different on the 97/97 then the 96. that's how i realized i had the wrong year harness at first.

+ Reply to Thread