+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: First time swap. LQ9 into 95 OBS

well its been awhile since i updated. been trying to trace out an evap leak. ended up being the stupid gas cap! also had a few other issues that i got sorted out. anyway, finally got everything settled and made and appointment for this morning. i felt pretty confident about it all and guess what... she passed!!! got the sticker and im good to go. from now on in Californias eyes, im driving an 03 escalade!

i want to say thank you once again for everybodys help. this site made it possible.

here is it on the smog dyno. passed with flying colors.

here hes under looking at the exhaust and all the EVAP stuff. he even was taking pictures with a digital camera... i for got to ask what the point of that was...

and here is the most expensive and frustrating sticker i have ever obtained. lol but well worth it and id do it again now that i know the ins and outs of how it all works.

i thought for sure they were gonna put it in the door jamb but he stuck it on the firewall.

i will be taking a brake from upgrades for a little while. this whole swap really put a dent in my wallet and i need to recoop a bit. haha. but i still got plans for the future. but first thing i need to do is finish the paint job. its really irritating me seeing it the way it is. but ill still be lurking around helping whoever i can.

and im going to hawaii next week for a week. im just glad i can be on vacation knowing my truck is finally legit! ahahaha
    Last edited by kewljay223; 01-09-2014 at 04:59 PM.
    Like Tumbler in "Gone in 60" I'll drive anything with wheels or without

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

That's awesome man! Congrats! Let's see some videos! Must feel really good! Cant wait to finish mine up! I'll keep an eye out for your DIY rear mount turbo build!

Hey is the Gross Vehicle weight right? 8501?

No way, it's 6000 isn't it? The light duty 2500's are 7200 GVWR. So 8501 has to be wrong.

honestly im confused on that also.... lol.. i think its the gvwr for the escalade... why that has anything to do with anythng.... you got me!!!

but thanks for the congrats! i havnt stopped thinking about it all day.

first on the list for me is the paint. got my hood primed the other day. just need to buy the black and clear and shoot it. then i can finally have a hood again. then paint thew taligate and phantom grill... then start working on the rest of the truck. i decided im going to make make my tailight strip wider. i like the looks of it but its just not wide enough for my liking. plus im going to make it have sequential turn signals like the mustangs. after that comes the touchscreen head unit aka "carputer". you can search this at mp3car.com. been wanting to do this for years.

once thats all set up, ill be ready for the rear mount turbo. i want the the turbo so bad but i still need to do a lil more resarchng on it. i think i know what i want but i wanna know more about FI before i start asking questons that have been answered and i get flamed for it. im not that kinda guy who asks questions unless i cant find it. trust me, this thread isnt over yet. ill keep it updated as much as possible!!!

My 95 ECSB LQ9 build thread - http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...to-95-obs.html
    CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!
    Stock 03 LQ9, DBW, 95' 4l80e w/ Transgo shift kit, 2010 50# GM injectors, 2800 Circle D stall, Spectre CAI, Upgraded trans cooler, Home-made E-fans/shroud, Dual EP-381 fuel pumps w/Home-made hotwire kit
    NEXT ON LIST: Dual Battery setup, CAM/Valvetrain upgrade, Build my own rear mount turbo, TRU-TRAC, HIT THE STRIP!!!

Keeley, great threat... thanks for posting all that info and congrats on getting it to pass California smog! I am about to swap an LQ9 into my 89 suburban. I was wondering about how you setup the evap canister, with the pressure and level sensors. Do you have it wired to the engine computer so that the system can complete a full test cycle? Or is it turned off in your tune and more for visual inspection?

Sorry but my phone is auto correcting and I'm just now seeing that it changed your name and a couple other things.

i had it turned off in the tune the first time i went, along with another member on here who passed just before i did. but we both failed our first time there. the refs WILL manually reset one or more of the monitors to see if it will show "incomplete". if it doesnt, he knows the pcm has been modified and you will fail. so we both had to set our pcm's back to factory condition. if your going to attempt this swap, you will need to make sure you have all the equipment, and it set up the way it was from the factory. to answer your question, yes, i have all the smog equipment hooked up just like it should be and it is working properly. To make your life easier, get a gas tank from a 96+ truck. it will have everything you need ready to go and no modifications to it will be neccesarry. trust me, its not worth the time or hassle.

dont try and fool the ref. they dont know everything about every car, but they spend 2 hours checking everything out. half the time they are on the computer looking stuff up to make sure.

where are you located?

CALI LEGAL ENGINE SWAP!

Thank you! That is very helpful info. I am in sacramento. I am going to do the swap and I am getting the new motor at the end of february. So I'm going to have a little time to iron out the smog issues. CA smog rules really make no sense to me at all! This swap will make my truck run soo much cleaner!

I'm getting a 2006 lq9 so wouldn't I need a gas tank out of a 2003+ truck for it to have all the necessary items?
    Edit: scratch that last question.
    Last edited by socoinslo; 01-29-2014 at 08:28 PM.

+ Reply to Thread