+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody interested in swap motor mount brackets?

Anybody interested in swap motor mount brackets?

Hey guys. After 2 LS swaps, I decided to stop hand fabricating my motor mount brackets, and I now get them laser cut, and I weld them together. These brackets put an LS motor exactly where the old 305/350 used to go and don't move the driveline at all. This worked perfectly when I put together my Z71. No relocating anything, easy as pie.

If you use mount adapter plates, it moves the centerline of tabs on the clamshell, and they don't really fit the motor mount cushions without wrestling them in, or slotting the holes. Once you slot, the locators don't line up, and you have to trim those up.

Here's mine. I eliminated the need for clamshells, and made a simple, bolt-on mount.

A couple other features. This mounting location allows you to use stock truck manifolds, even the LS y-pipe if you need to still run cat's. If you are on a budget, or simply prefer the mechanical cooling fan, this setup places the engine right in the middle of the stock V8 fan shroud. This lets you work your way up to E-fans and headers later if the $$ is tight. The stock truck oilpan is a great fit on the 4WD trucks, and the sump is protected by the skid plate and front axle. On 2WD trucks, you might want to consider the F-car or Holley pan. I ran a truck pan from 2006-2010 with no issues, but it does hang below the engine crossmember, and I was never really confident with that.

Here's a few pics of my last LS swapped truck, almost 3 years since conversion, daily driven and going strong.

PM me if interested. I'm making these in small batches right now, we'll see how demand is. Cost for these is $80+shipping for the pair, uncoated.

The slotted holes allow for some adjustability for some other applications they work with. On an 88-99, or really any V8 truck that uses clamshells on the engine, you would use the forward side of the slot. The tabs are made with the stock locator features from the clamshell, and really make it easy to fit the motor right onto the frame mounts.

Here's a shot of them aligned like they would be on the side of the motor.

Here's a pic of a hand fabbed set I made for my 94 Z71. It was my daily driver for 18 months, and the new owner is still running these brackets, towing and occasionally wheeling the truck. Note how the locating tangs on the motor frame mounts fit the features on the bracket.

Here's a shot of the motor going in for the final time.

My old truck.. motor in and running. Still needed some wiring cleanup. And.. my fantabulous PVC intake that was supposed to be temporary, but got run for 18 months..

And a couple of shots with the truck at work. The Caprice on the trailer is LS-swapped too.

After being hooked to a wood chipped, and hauling 3 yard loads chipped bamboo.

Last edited by beertestr; 03-01-2013 at 08:46 AM.
    Mike
    http://kds-performance.com
    94 Silverado Z71 SCLB 4.8L LR4 Daily Driver
    93 GMC Sierra 2WD LS V8 Swap dun, run, rusted, stripped & junked
    1979 Caprice Coupe - LS Swapped - 11.76@115.8

I'm interested! Let me know if you can make me a set.
    1989 K1500, 33's, LQ4 swap in the works
    1991 Mustang GT, Solid lifter 347, GR40 suspension
    1972 Triumph Tiger hard tail bobber

They look good. I made my own using the original clam shells bolted to a similar bracket. Not much out here for these swaps.
    Wish I had yours at the time.
    1978 C20 short bed pickup, GEN111, 4L60E trans.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowAndHighTBI View Post
    I'm interested! Let me know if you can make me a set.
    PM sent. Please let me know if I can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Johnston View Post
    They look good. I made my own using the original clam shells bolted to a similar bracket. Not much out here for these swaps.
    Wish I had yours at the time.
    Yeah. It was my goal to get these on the market 3 years ago, but other things kept taking priority. Now that these are complete, I am working on the R4 AC bracket.
    Mike

Thought I would bump this up. I am in the process of starting to sell these under an LLC, time to get serious. My projects are not funding themselves ..

More to follow, R4 AC compressor mount is almost finished.
    Mike

I used these mounts for my swap. They worked like a charm. These things are worth every penny.

Do you know if they will work in other Chevy SBC to LS swaps? G body, Camaro, etc?
    1989 K1500, 33's, LQ4 swap in the works
    1991 Mustang GT, Solid lifter 347, GR40 suspension
    1972 Triumph Tiger hard tail bobber

Nice. I like the fact that they do away with the clam shells.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowAndHighTBI View Post
    I used these mounts for my swap. They worked like a charm. These things are worth every penny.

Do you know if they will work in other Chevy SBC to LS swaps? G body, Camaro, etc?
    Thanks Slow!.. maybe not so slow now.

I've run these in 2WD and 4WD 88-99 trucks. A local guy has used them for his 99 Tahoe swap, and he's in the process of using another set on a 70's K5 pickup project.
    As for cars, I sell the same mounts to the B-body guys, and the LT1 94-96 guys get slightly modified versions for the offset right side mount. There's no reason they won't work on a G body. The car guys use either the 98-02 Fbody pan or the Holley swap pan. I was actually in the quoting phase of making my own swap pan, but Holley came out with theirs, and they pretty much had the same idea, I would have moved the sump a little further forward, but it's pretty close to ideal. FWIW, the Fbody pan is still made by GM, they use it in some industrial applications. It's not going away for a while.
    Mike

Trust me guy's, Mike knows what he is doing. I was around once in a while to see the stages of progress when he was planning and building a couple of his ideas. They are well thought out and not just thrown together to make a quick buck. Buy with confidence.
    To quote a friend,
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you move it!

Check your six!

Quote Originally Posted by Avarookie View Post
    Trust me guy's, Mike knows what he is doing. I was around once in a while to see the stages of progress when he was planning and building a couple of his ideas. They are well thought out and not just thrown together to make a quick buck. Buy with confidence.
    Thank you sir.. maybe you'll show the work we did to your ride over Xmas.
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread