+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ford 9" ?'s

ford 9" ?'s

I'm going to pick up a 9" housing and center section this weekend. I plan on putting a good set of axles and a spool in it. I've got a few 10 bolts laying around and planned on using the spring and shock mounts from. What brand axles and spool should I get? Will the stock center section hold up? Will I have to shorten anything? And what is everyone doing for brakes? Do I need to reinforce the housing any since I'll be leaving on the trans brake?
    99 rcsb silverado...... boosted.

Quote Originally Posted by jansen View Post
    I'm going to pick up a 9" housing and center section this weekend. I plan on putting a good set of axles and a spool in it. I've got a few 10 bolts laying around and planned on using the spring and shock mounts from. What brand axles and spool should I get? Will the stock center section hold up? Will I have to shorten anything? And what is everyone doing for brakes? Do I need to reinforce the housing any since I'll be leaving on the trans brake?
    Thats an awsome idea to start..
    But for your question about the stock 3rd member (center section) they are only good till about 400-500 even that is really pushing
    it depending on what case bearing your running. My suggestion would be if you are gonna run a spool and are making in the
    650 and up range...Get a good case, "Strange Pro series" with the 3.25 beaing with a daytona pinion support, that will do alot for you. Same goes to the spool, 35 spline for sure. We use Dutchman to make our axles. As far as the brakes go if you wana save some
    money, you can pick up a set of backing plates while your hunting the donar houseing, to run a set of drum brakes. Or you can
    opt for some willwood. Dependinig on what lug pattern you run and the axle flange to match you can get away with a set of FORD
    EXPLORER brakes...But your flange has to be no larger than 6" wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Got Torque Diffs View Post
    Thats an awsome idea to start..
    But for your question about the stock 3rd member (center section) they are only good till about 400-500 even that is really pushing
    it depending on what case bearing your running. My suggestion would be if you are gonna run a spool and are making in the
    650 and up range...Get a good case, "Strange Pro series" with the 3.25 beaing with a daytona pinion support, that will do alot for you. Same goes to the spool, 35 spline for sure. We use Dutchman to make our axles. As far as the brakes go if you wana save some
    money, you can pick up a set of backing plates while your hunting the donar houseing, to run a set of drum brakes. Or you can
    opt for some willwood. Dependinig on what lug pattern you run and the axle flange to match you can get away with a set of FORD
    EXPLORER brakes...But your flange has to be no larger than 6" wide.
    I forgot to add if i were you i would consider trussing the housing as well as retubing it to keep it from bending... I dont know how
    much power your making but, since your considering a 9" with a spool........
    Id assume allot.

Its going Behing my turbo 5.3. I've destroyed my 10 bolt a few times and now that I'm going with a trans brake .... well I don't want to end up like the one you posted pics of lol. My uncle has 6 aftermarket third members in his shop so I'm gonna try to talk him out of one. I'd like to run 6 lug axles and disk brakes . Pm me a price on you building me one if ya don't mind.
    99 rcsb silverado...... boosted.

+ Reply to Thread