+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: newbie here. a few ls1 swap questions

newbie here. a few ls1 swap questions

I have a 05 silverado with a 5.3 in it now. I found a good deal on a good running ls1. I know I can bolt my intake, exhaust and oil pan on and it'll fit but I have a few questions. Should I use the truck intake? I want to use long tube headers since I've heard they free up a good bit of power. Can I just order headers for an 05 silverado with a 5.3? Do I have to get my computer reprogrammed? Someone told me I need to change the injectors. Is this true? The ls1 is stock and other than the headers I won't be doing any other work to it.
    05 silverado 4x4

KERRIGE!!!!!!!!!!! School this guy please!!!!!!

why do you need to swap?

Keep your 5.3 and upgrade your exhaust system and maybe a mild cam, get a NP tune and have some fun! Save the LS1 for another project if you want to dive into something. (just my opinion).

I would keep it as is. Just get a http://www.nelsonperformance.com/ tune, and look at this: http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/front...in-budget.html
    But to answer your questions, remove the 5.3, swap all accessories onto the 5.7 and drop the 5.7 back in place of 5.3. Yes, you can use the truck intake to get it back on the road and later do a swap if you want to. I think you can just order the 5.3 truck headers and you should be fine. And yes, the computer will need to be tuned. As far as the injectors go, not sure someone else will have to answer that. Hang on to the LS1 for a different project.
    "ALisSa1 Silverado"
    1990 Chevrolet RCSB 2002 Chevrolet Camaro LS1/4L60E
    Scrimpin Ain't Easy
    ( . Y . )

Well I don't have to I just pull a lot with my truck and it really needs more power. A friend of mine is pulling the motor out of his TA and is almost giving it to me so I thought I would put some headers along with good exhaust and a tune to have a better pulling truck.
    05 silverado 4x4

Does headers pick the 5.3 up as much as they do the ls1? I've personally seen pretty impressive gains from putting them on the ls1 but haven't seen anyone put them on the 5.3. Why not put the ls1 in my truck? The gains not worth it? I will sell the ls1
    05 silverado 4x4

I was saying, I will sell the ls1 if it's not worth putting it in?
    05 silverado 4x4

keep your 5.3 and sell the ls1 or put it in another project.
    put a turbo on the 5.3 if you need more pulling power

A turbo is a little expensive though. The ls
    05 silverado 4x4

+ Reply to Thread