+ Reply to Thread

Thread: E15 in your gas tank?

Angry E15 in your gas tank?

EPA approved, but Car Manufacturers will not honor warranty if you use this fuel!

Keep you eyes open at the gas stations for the E15 fuel and ANY CAR OLDER THAN 2012 CANNOT USE

THIS FUEL! IT WILL DESTROY YOUR ENGINE!

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2000862202001/

yeah, we've been discussing this on the vette board. sucks a big one! something about trying to have a mandated 4gal minimum purchase of this crap. warranty or not (not like i've ever had anything new enough to be warrantyable anyway), i ain't rotting out my seals & lines while burning a higher volume of fuel if i can help it
    00 FRC - just top end, exhaust, and a hot-air intake
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd
    ↓ click the pic for the build ↓

are you really drinking the kool-aid here?

weve had E10 for yrs now, it isnt hurting anything to the vehicles. If you are drinking that kool-aid then can sell you some property if your interested.....
    2002 Lightning - GT headed 5.5Litre w/ Twin 7665s
    2002 Silverado - 427Lsx w/ Twin gt4202s
    2010 Silverado crewcab Z71 - 5.3litre w/ procharger
    2000 Wrangler - 5.3litre with some stance
    2014 Xsport- 3.5 Eco boost
    412 Motorsports

it ain't that I'm too big to listen to the rumors, It's just that I'm too damn big to pay attention to 'em..That's the difference

I was gonna say, E-10 has been here for years. Only way to avoid it is to buy 91 or better. Only side effect is crappy gas.
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

i'm pretty sure i remember reading a study years back (before they started using E10) about it slowly degrading some of the seals & whatnot when i was looking at swapping my 91 explorer to straight ethanol. granted it'd be a much slower process when it's diluted that much. but still, you still have to burn more of it to get the same energy as you would straight gas. this is just me asking now - would there be a problem with potentially running a bit lean if, say, you just ran out of regular gas (out of town) and fill up with E15, and then as you're pulling onto the highway, the guy coming up behind you got the pedal stuck in his Prius so you... thinking more about protecting your kids in the back seat than remembering you have a pretty aggressive Nelson tune (for ethanol-free gas)... gun it to keep from being rear-ended then POW! goes a piston. quite extreme for most but there's a potential out there for this to be a probably situation, right?
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    I was gonna say, E-10 has been here for years. Only way to avoid it is to buy 91 or better. Only side effect is crappy gas.
    depending on where you are (which the list keeps growing), all grades have food in it it sucks even more when you can only get 91
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by zebra View Post
    i'm pretty sure i remember reading a study years back (before they started using E10) about it slowly degrading some of the seals & whatnot when i was looking at swapping my 91 explorer to straight ethanol. granted it'd be a much slower process when it's diluted that much. but still, you still have to burn more of it to get the same energy as you would straight gas. this is just me asking now - would there be a problem with potentially running a bit lean if, say, you just ran out of regular gas (out of town) and fill up with E15, and then as you're pulling onto the highway, the guy coming up behind you got the pedal stuck in his Prius so you... thinking more about protecting your kids in the back seat than remembering you have a pretty aggressive Nelson tune (for ethanol-free gas)... gun it to keep from being rear-ended then POW! goes a piston. quite extreme for most but there's a potential out there for this to be a probably situation, right?
    Couldn't the tune compensate for the extra ethanol by adding a little bit of timing? Ideally ethanol is like 110 octane or something like that so maybe just more timin at WOT to keep from leaning out? And I'm not positive but I think Nelson leaves a little extra fuel just to prevent lean situations anyways but hey what do I know, I might still be drunk this morning anyways lol

pure ethanol is about the same as 108, yes. and i know Allen leaves some slop in there - i was creating a hypothetical situation to see if it could potentially be a concern with a really aggressive tune - especially on a boosted application when particulars matter more
    99 Sierra - 5.3 / 5spd

I just run e85

+ Reply to Thread