+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 98 4.3 to a 5.3 or a 6.0?

98 4.3 to a 5.3 or a 6.0?

I'm having a tough time figuring out which motor I want, and whether I want to go turbo, supercharger, or n/a. I do know I'm probably going to keep an automatic tranny though. I want a good all around truck... Basically I want a d/d that can smoke most anything when the need arises... Basically I'm looking for success stories and horror stories... anything helps.

Racing is a real sport. Because football, baseball, soccer, and golf only require one ball.

N/a builds are fun , and so is boost but u need alot of supporting mods with boost . A nice forged engine and a stout trans

I am of the opinion that 500hp and 12 sec trucks should smoke anything you run into on the street on a normal day. 5.3 with cam and a smallish turbo you are there.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

I would go with a 6.0. There is a pretty big difference in power between the 5.3 and 6.0. My cam only L92 headed 6.0 makes 550hp on skunk piss 87 octane.
    '91 s10,carbed 6.0,L92's comp cam,750dp,th350, 3400 converter,ford 8.8

Quote Originally Posted by RipsnortMN View Post
    I would go with a 6.0. There is a pretty big difference in power between the 5.3 and 6.0. My cam only L92 headed 6.0 makes 550hp on skunk piss 87 octane.
    I've heard that there's certain "Good" years that I want to pull a 6.0 from. Is that true or is everybody I've talked to clueless?

Racing is a real sport. Because football, baseball, soccer, and golf only require one ball.

So the time has come to do the swap... Now I'm in the info gathering stage. I'm reading everything I can all over the place, but I'm worried about the harness and motor mounts. They may be stupid to worry about but I'm worried none the less. And BTW... 5.3 or 6.0?

5.3! Very little to wake the motor up. Small cam tune, good exhaust you can easily get 360rwhp through a 60e with minimal mods if any. You go to a 6.0 you may have to switch to an 80e. I know a lot of Denali's came with 60e but then a lot of 6.0s (VIN U) which were in the 1500HD came with 80e and oil cooler. The pinouts on the harness are identical, that is if you get the same year. I went from 00'4.3 to 03' 5.3 and there was very little which needed repinning other than the C2 fuse block.

+ Reply to Thread