+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Budget 4.3 to 5.3 swap

Wow that worked out good. I sold my old 4.3 with 247000km on it to my snap on dealer for 200 bucks, he was gonna throw it in his boat.
    2000 Chevy Silverado RCSB LS6 5 speed, LS6 short block, 317 heads, LS6 intake, Lunati 220/224 .575/.575 112LSA cam, Edelbrock Headers, CTS-V accessory drive, Nelson Performance Custom Tune.

Thanks Guys! Yeah, I've been very pleased with the performance/dollar increase. Plus the 5.3 gets better gas mileage than the 4.3 did and it is soo much nicer to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by robm-951 View Post
    ... Plus the 5.3 gets better gas mileage than the 4.3 did and it is soo much nicer to drive.
    That has got to be one of the weirdest things, lol! How in the heck a V8 can get better mileage than a V6 is beyond me, especially when the V8 has a bunch more displacement Good on yah!
    - Paul J.
    2006 Silverado LT3 L33 Z71 - Mods: K&N Air Filter; Taylor Wires
    2008 Azera Limited - Mods: (Yah, wife's car ... not happening)
    (SOLD) 1994 Camaro Z28 - Mods: (Too many to mention)
    (SOLD) 2004 Suburban 5.3L Z71 - Mods: Flex-a-Lite 292 Monster Fan
    (SOLD) 2000 Silverado 5.3L Z71 - Mods: (NTIKO)
    (SOLD) 1991 Suburban 350 2WD - Mods: (NTIKO)

Hi
    pretty green here. Just posted about trying to get a swap out for my 350,400 set up in 86 C20.
    When i mentioned I was wondering if 20mpg was feasible, was told in short order I was 'off my rocker'. But after looking at your post here with a 5.3 you say 25-27mpg, so clearly you know something they don't OR I'm not quite as crazy as was first thought, or anything approaching this mileage may be only possible in later vehicles. So I'm keen if you have the time to let me know about your set up in 06 Silverado, Thanks.
    Last edited by rootbeer; 09-16-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by rootbeer View Post
    Hi
    pretty green here. Just posted about trying to get a swap out for my 350,400 set up in 86 C20.
    When i mentioned I was wondering if 20mpg was feasible, was told in short order I was 'off my rocker'. But after looking at your post here with a 5.3 you say 25-27mpg, so clearly you know something they don't OR I'm not quite as crazy as was first thought, or anything approaching this mileage may be only possible in later vehicles. So I'm keen if you have the time to let me know about your set up in 06 Silverado, Thanks.
    There is another member on here with a 5 speed getting 25 hwy, (making 500+hp on the bottle) but he damn sure isn't getting 20 in town like you are wanting. You won't find a v8 truck in the world that gets that.

My crew cab got 21 hwy with just a tune, but you're definitely crazy if you think you'll get that in town.

I've driven probably 20 of these trucks and have yet to find one that gets more than 22 hwy. I believe most people do not understand how to figure mileage correctly when they state they're getting 25+ in a truck.
    Last edited by pl4yboy; 09-16-2012 at 10:35 PM.

My mileage is due to the truck being a standard, 3.23 gears, my driving habits, and a good tune. Trucks with an auto can't touch my mileage simply because of drivetrain loss. But north of 20 is definitely doable.
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    My mileage is due to the truck being a standard, 3.23 gears, my driving habits, and a good tune. Trucks with an auto can't touch my mileage simply because of drivetrain loss. But north of 20 is definitely doable.
    Thanks guys for both ur input. I guess standard gearing may be my first option to any significant improvement as I run 4:10. Also agree that driving habits are a key factor as well. I'm basically looking for significant improvement over current mpg which is about 10-11 in town. Its not like 20mpg is a magic number for me or anything, but good to aim high right?
    From what I've read here a 5.3 seems to be a favored mill. Interested in your opinions on trying to drop in a 4L60E (post '98?) to match as best avail option in such an early truck as it involves computers, VSS,probably changing the steering column, etc, and wondering if time and expense
    makes it my best avenue?

+ Reply to Thread