+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4l80e/4l60e Swap (wrong direction)

4l80e/4l60e Swap (wrong direction)

Having just discovered that I have a 4l80e harness, I'm working to fix it so that it will properly control my 4l60e transmission. so far what I've got is that I need to switch pin "S" to "U" on the trans connector, which is connected to #2 red on the PCM, then add a pin from #42 Red to "T" on the transmission, and #79 blue gets pinned into pin "S".

Anyone who's gone the opposite direction able to confirm? I was a little worried, but if its this simple I'm feeling pretty good about that actually, just want to make sure I'm not over simplifying.
    Last edited by Wagonbacker9; 08-27-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Well, after doing some more research, it appears that the wiring IS that simple... but the programming is NOT. I'll need to have HPTuners do a "segment swap" for me.. to put in the 4l60e paramters, and take out the 4l80e.

Learn something every day with this damn swap! LOL

How hard would it be to get your hands on a 4l80?

just get a tune from an LS1 camaro and drop it in there.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

Quote Originally Posted by jansen View Post
    How hard would it be to get your hands on a 4l80?
    Don't know, but I don't want to deal with the added hassle (longer transmission would complicate my life) when I have a 67K mile 4l60e sitting in my garage with a stall to match, ready to go in (different crossmemeber, trans mount, flexplate, shift linkage, converter.. no thanks!). So, effectively, more than it is worth to me, even if it was free. It would be great to have a bullet proof trans, but I just can't go that way. I've gone too far down this path to make any changes that radical now.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHeartbeat View Post
    just get a tune from an LS1 camaro and drop it in there.
    If it was that simple, I already have access to a 1999 5.3l/4l60e tune out of the repository that I can just copy the differences over from.
    My understanding is that there are parameters unavailable to the commercial tuner's front ends requiring a segment swap from another tune that operates on the same OS. Another alternative is to change the PCM to a different (but compatible) OS... I'm assuming that is a more complex operation.

Obviously I don't know any of that from experience myself so if I'm wrong, feel free to say so, but thats what I gathered off of HPTuners forum as well as on PerformanceTrucks.net.

Im pretty sure your understanding is correct with hpt. EFILive allows the end user to do it themselves. I have done it many times. I guess that's a Con with using hpt. Either pay hpt team the extra credit to do the trans segment swap for you or find someone local who has EFILive. Good luck man.

Quote Originally Posted by vortecyota View Post
    Im pretty sure your understanding is correct with hpt. EFILive allows the end user to do it themselves. I have done it many times. I guess that's a Con with using hpt. Either pay hpt team the extra credit to do the trans segment swap for you or find someone local who has EFILive. Good luck man.
    Yeah, unfortionately I had no idea such things existed when I chose HPTuners, much less did I realize that it would be a concern... I'm not sure HPTuners charges for the service (from what I saw on their forum it didn't indicate they do), but if they do, it'll be cheaper licensing a new PCM, and though it will annoy me, thats probably what I'll do. Hopefully the fact that you can do it yourself with EFILive is enough of a reason to not charge.
    The guy who sold me the PCM has offered to get me another 0411 PCM if HPTuners can't get me up and running... so worst case I try to sell my HPTuners with this PCM and buy another HPTuners (Go PRO this time, or EFILive... lol), or just license the new PCM. Long shot, but having HPTuners UNlicense this PCM so I can get a different one would be great too.

Thanks for the well wishes and confirmation.

Don't hold your breath. Customer service is not their forte'.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

Quote Originally Posted by RedHeartbeat View Post
    Don't hold your breath. Customer service is not their forte'.
    I got an email back requesting I email them a file within an hour... so far so good, here's hoping. I stumbled on one of your posts on there tracking down my OS number in a search. lol

Got it back already... don't see any differences, but I don't think I'm supposed to. lol

+ Reply to Thread