+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chevy 5.3 Engine Help part selecting

Chevy 5.3 Engine Help part selecting

Hello everyone, I purchase a chevy ls 5.3 motor .I want to add bolt on's with a daily driver in mind . I drive 110 miles a week. I want a cam that gives me a nice aggressive thumping sound but not sacrificing to much mpg??? . Beefing up the stock heads with better spring??? .

What would be a good cam and set of springs, headers ,timing chain, head gasket too choose from?????????????

One of my friends is selling me Lunati 55004LUN cam 221 int./221 exh. 0.558 int./0.558 exh. Can this cam be a good choice ???

That cam is alright, but you will need a stall to get good results out of it. I would say unless that cam is real cheap, you should go with a bigger cam. Thunder racing/texas speed both have complete cam swap kits. 222/226 .6xx/.6xx LSA112 with hardened pushrods and a good double spring (patriot golds, etc) Stock replacement gaskets and a LS2 timing chain. As for headers it depends on your application, but the calspeed's are a great deal.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

My friend is asking $250 for that cam new .I also was looking at the Texas Speed 228R ????

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyonBillets View Post
    My friend is asking $250 for that cam new .I also was looking at the Texas Speed 228R ????
    Thats what I paid for my used 228/222... so thats a good deal, but be sure its what you want. I'd say the 228R is on the big end of what you'd wanna put in, DEFINITELY need to stall it for a cam that big.

I just want something that won't kill me on gas

Put an LS6 cam and springs in it and call it good.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

Then sell the truck and buy a prius. If you can't afford gas, you don't need to modify the truck.

Any well speced cam isn't going to kill you on gas. You will lose some, but it won't cut it in half unless its terribly speced.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

I ran a 232/234 in my 6.0l GTO and I still pulled down 17mpg combined... 25 freeway. As long as you don't put some donkey dick cam thats way too big for your heads or cubes in, you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by pl4yboy View Post
    Then sell the truck and buy a prius. If you can't afford gas, you don't need to modify the truck.
    You feel better you got it off your chest bud . Instead ill buy a smart car , Just trying to find the right cam

+ Reply to Thread