+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mounting question on transmission into OBS

Mounting question on transmission into OBS

Ok, I have got my lower V6 mounts out of the way and the correct V8 mounts on the frame, I have a 4L60E from a 03 model mounted up to my 5.3 motor, should my stock crossmember stay in the same place for the trans mount or will it need to be modified, truck was a 4.3 automatic 2WD

I would keep the crossmember where it is so you don't have driveshaft worries. That requires 1" setback mounts for the engine, but its your call.

ok, I have dirty dingo mounts that are slotted to getting the trans in the crossmember where it is should be no problem

It will stay in stock location with dirty dingo mounts

No luck, with the late model trans on my truck I'm gonna have to notch my crossmember so my oil pan and stock manifolds will clear the crossmember under the engine, just curious if anyone else had ran into this issue when using a 03 or newer transmission

Quote Originally Posted by 1991SSP View Post
    No luck, with the late model trans on my truck I'm gonna have to notch my crossmember so my oil pan and stock manifolds will clear the crossmember under the engine, just curious if anyone else had ran into this issue when using a 03 or newer transmission
    The transmission cases are all essentially the same.

Interesting,, the only way I'm gonna get the clearance I need is to place the transmission back an inch or so

Quote Originally Posted by 1991SSP View Post
    Interesting,, the only way I'm gonna get the clearance I need is to place the transmission back an inch or so
    Using 1" setback mounts is normal to put the trans in stock location, do you mean you're going 1" back from the stock Trans location?

Yes, with the trans mount being in the stock location my engine is too far forward, I had to notch my transmission crossmember to allow it to slide back a inch or so, if not my oil pan was resting on the K member and my drivers side manifold did not have enough room to clear as well

Every 88-98 frame I've seen has multiple sets of holes to move the trans. crossmember front to back. Just set your engine mounts in the 1'' back position then mount your trans x-member to the closest set of holes, you may have to drill one or two new holes.
    Last edited by low91; 06-22-2012 at 01:26 AM.
    1991 Silverado-L33 5.3L, 212/218 .557 .562 115+4, ASP under drive pulley,180* thermostat, 90mm truck intake w/ LS3 throttle body. Shoenfeld conversion headers and duel Flowmaster exhaust. Performabuilt LVL 1 transmission and 23-2500 stall converter.

+ Reply to Thread