+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 96-98 truck 5.3 swap

96-98 truck 5.3 swap

What all dose it take to do a 5.3 swap in thease year trucks?

i just finished my LS1 swap into my 96. check my build thread, i have wiring diagrams & most the parts i used for the swap.
    the 96 harness is different from the 98 harness, not sure about the 97, but i have diagrams for both 96 & 98 in there.

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...t-gondown.html

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...onversion.html
    You came to the right place. Check out this sticky, it should answer 99% of your swap questions.

Mine will be going into a bagged truck also yours is kick ass! Were did u put your fuel filter?

about a foot forward from the factory location. i made 2 short lines & bought some O-ring fittings & tied into the factory hard lines.

A large sack of cash!The swap is straightforward enough,but there are about a thousand details that will nickel and dime you to death.If you get a pull-out,get every part,nut,bolt wire and connector that you can,I can't imagine how horrifically expensive it would be if one started out with a bare crate motor...

Quote Originally Posted by tfi racing View Post
    A large sack of cash!The swap is straightforward enough,but there are about a thousand details that will nickel and dime you to death.If you get a pull-out,get every part,nut,bolt wire and connector that you can,I can't imagine how horrifically expensive it would be if one started out with a bare crate motor...
    You just have to shop around. All I got with my engine was from the crank to intake without accessorys and I've got maybe 2500 in mine. I also had to rebuild my lower end.

Did yal tune it or run the factory tune

i have a Nelson tune on mine. you'll also need a F-body oil pan since it's going into a bagged truck.
    if you have patients & shop around you should be able to find a complete pull out at a descent price. i just found a 99 LS1 complete motor, trans, harness, ECU, & trans-am front K member with all the brakes & suspension, 70,000 miles for $1600 for a friend of mine. i'm thinking after a few months of messing around with it he'll probably want to sell it & i'll have a chance to scoop it up, LOL!!!! he's one of those guys that has a ton of unfinished projects.

Quote Originally Posted by tfi racing View Post
    A large sack of cash! The swap is straightforward enough, but there are about a thousand details that will nickel and dime you to death. If you get a pull-out, get every part, nut, bolt wire and connector that you can, I can't imagine how horrifically expensive it would be if one started out with a bare crate motor...
    LOL. Could not agree with you more. Its all the little things that add up, in time...and money. That is, if you want to do everything the right way the first time & not compromize anything. These are not $1,500.00 swaps, I don't care what anyone says. You do have to put a value on your time as well. That said, my truck is a complete hobby to me that I enjoy, and not my primary vehicle. If it is your primary vehicle, the very first expense to consider before starting the swap, is to buy another means of transportation. It will take you alot longer than you think to complete the swap 100%. Some don't like to include this part in the "expense" of the big picture.
    Last edited by LS1GMCTruck; 05-13-2012 at 04:56 PM.

+ Reply to Thread