+ Reply to Thread

Thread: readiness testing for emissions

Hybrid View

HOW TO: PCM readiness completion for emissions testing

So what is the secret to getting readiness testing completed? I have driven my truck 80 miles and cannot get them to complete.

See post 5 for details on how to clear the readiness tests. The secret to 02 readiness is starting out with a cold engine. Mine started up first thing in the morning and idled for about three minutes and the heater circuit test completed. I drove the truck for 5 miles at 55 mph and the 02 function test completed.

I'm still trying to get the EVAP test to clear but here in TX we are allowed one test to not complete and still pass the emissions test.
    Last edited by RedHeartbeat; 04-22-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

Quote Originally Posted by RedHeartbeat View Post
    So what is the secret to getting readiness testing completed? I have driven my truck 80 miles and cannot get them to complete.
    A lot of mine show incomplete.

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

yeah, that's what I have to resolve. In the DFW area you're allowed only one incomplete.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

Do a Google search for IM240 testing. There is a specific drive pattern that you can follow that should hit all of the parameters to complete the monitors.
    Just driving like you normally would may take quite a while. Even though doing the drive pattern is a pain in the butt, It is usually the easiest way to complete the
    monitor readiness tests.

Jeff
    98 GMC RCSB 2wd, 100% internally stock 305, w/twin T-3 junkyard turbos,Ramjet intake w/42lb inj,12200411 PCM. 4675lbs w/me in it. Best time in 5 passes 13.01@110

Found this in the HPTUNERS website...
    This is to set the readiness codes to pass, or to help flush out pesky problems.

1. Perform a cold start. ECT must be below 122° also within 11° of the ambient air temperature upon startup. (Note: Do not leave the key in the on position before the start up. This may cause the oxygen sensor heater diagnostic not to run.) Temps are in Fahrenheit for our neighbors to the north.

2. Idle the engine in drive for 2 1/2 minutes with the air conditioner and rear defroster on. You want a lot of electrical load. The more the better. This will run diagnostic tests for O2 heater, Purge "No Flow", Misfire, Passive Air, Fuel Trim and if closed loop is achieved.

3. Accelerate to 55mph at half throttle (1/2). All electrical loads should be minimized. This will run diagnostic tests for Fuel Trim, Misfire, Purge Flow.

4. Steady state cruise at 55mph for 3 minutes. This will run diagnostic tests for O2 response, EGR, Misfire, Air Intrusive, Purge and Fuel Trim.

5. Decelerate from 55mph with foot off the throttle. Do not shift the vehicle manually or touch the brake. Let the vehicle gradually slow itself down to approximately 20mph. This will run diagnostics for Purge, EGR and Fuel Trim.

6. Accelerate to 55-60mph at three quarters (3/4) throttle. This will run diagnostics for Fuel Trim, Misfire, Purge Flow.

7. Steady state cruise at 55-60mph for 5 minutes. This will run diagnostic tests for O2 response, EGR, Misfire, Air Intrusive, Purge and Fuel Trim and catalyst monitor. If you have just reconnected the battery or the cat is only doing part of its job, it may take up to 5 complete cycles for the system to determine the state of the cat.

8. Decelerate with foot off the throttle. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Do not shift the vehicle manually or touch the brake. Let the vehicle gradually slow itself down to approximately 20mph. This will run diagnostics for Purge, EGR and Fuel Trim.
    Last edited by RedHeartbeat; 04-22-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Found this on another site....

================================================== =

Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) Complete System Set Procedure
    Diagnostic Instructions
    • Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.
    • Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
    • Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provide an overview of each diagnostic category.

Description
    The purpose of the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) complete system set procedure is to satisfy the enable criteria necessary to execute all of the I/M readiness diagnostics and complete the drive cycles for those particular diagnostics. When all I/M monitored diagnostic tests are completed, the I/M System Status indicators are set to YES. Perform the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) Complete System Set Procedure if any I/M System Status indicators are set to NO.

I/M Data List
    To determine if the I/M readiness diagnostic tests can be run this ignition cycle, use a scan tool to observe the I/M monitor enabled parameters in the I/M Data List.

Conditions for Meeting a Cold Start
    • The ignition voltage between 11-18 volts.
    • The barometric pressure (BARO) is more than 75 kPa.
    • The start-up engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between 4-30°C (39-86°F).
    • The start-up intake air temperature (IAT) is between 4-30°C (39-86°F).
    • The difference between the IAT and the ECT is less than or equal to 6°C (10.8°F)
    • The ambient air temperature is between 4-30°C (39-86°F).
    • Fuel level is between 15-85 percent
    • Without RPO LMG--The fuel alcohol content is less than 15 percent.
    • With RPO LMG--The fuel alcohol content is less than 87 percent.

Circuit/System Verification
    Review the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) System Status indicators with a scan tool. All I/M System Status indicators should report YES.

Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) System Set Procedure
    Important: Whenever the ignition is turned ON, ignition positive voltage is supplied to the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) heaters. After verifying the enable criteria, turn OFF the ignition for approximately 5 minutes to allow the sensors to cool before continuing with the test. Once the engine is started, do NOT turn the engine OFF for the remaining portion of the set procedure. [/COLOR]
    1. Ensure that the vehicle meets the conditions for a cold start listed above.
    ⇒ If the evaporative emission (EVAP) I/M System Status indicator displays NO, perform the EVAP Service bay test if available.
    ⇒ If the EVAP Service bay test is NOT available, it may take up to 6 drive cycles, with up to 17 hours between drive cycles, for the EVAP I/M System Status indicator to transition to YES.
    ⇒ If the O2S Heater System Status indicator displays NO, ensure that the ignition has been turned OFF for at least 10 hours.
    2. Set the vehicle parking brake and ensure the vehicle is in park for automatic transmission or neutral for manual transmission.
    3. Turn OFF all accessories; HVAC system, other electrical loads, including aftermarket/add-on equipment, etc.
    4. Start and idle the engine for at least 2 minutes and until 65°C (149°F) is achieved.
    5. Run the engine for 6.5 minutes within the following conditions:
    • MAF parameter between 4-30 g/s
    Engine speed steady between 1000-3000 RPM
    6. Return the engine to idle for 1 minute.
    7. Apply and hold brake pedal, and shift to Drive for automatic, or apply clutch pedal for manual and operate the vehicle within the following conditions for 2 minutes:
    • Depress the accelerator pedal until TP Sensor angle is more than 2 percent.
    • MAF signal between 15-30 g/s
    • RPM steady between 1200-2000 RPM

Important: Do NOT touch the accelerator pedal during the idle period. A change in TP Sensor angle or an increase in engine speed may invalidate this portion of the test. [/COLOR]

8. Release the accelerator pedal and shift the vehicle to Park for automatic, or Neutral and release clutch pedal for manual, and allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes.
    9. Quickly depress the accelerator pedal until TP Sensor Angle is more than 8 percent and return to idle, repeat 3 times.
    10. Allow engine to idle for at least 2 minutes.
    11. Release the parking brake and drive vehicle at 24 km/h (15 mph) or slower for 2 minutes.
    12. Continue to drive the vehicle for at least 5.5 miles between 45-112 km/h (28-70 mph) with the vehicle reaching at least 80 km/h (50 mph).
    13. Release the accelerator pedal for at least 2 seconds. This will allow the vehicle to enter decel fuel cut-off.
    14. Depress the accelerator pedal until the TP Sensor angle is increased 3-20 percent and maintain a safe speed for 1 minute.
    15. Safely stop the vehicle, with the engine in drive for automatic or in neutral with the clutch pedal depressed and parking brake applied for manual, idle for 2 minutes.
    16. Shift to Park for automatic and apply the parking brake, or neutral and release clutch pedal for manual.

Important: Do NOT disturb the vehicle or turn ON the ignition until told to do so. Disturbing the vehicle may invalidate this portion of the test.

17. Turn OFF the ignition and exit the vehicle. Do NOT disturb the vehicle for 45 minutes.
    18. Observe the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) System Status with a scan tool. All of the I/M System Status indicators should display YES.
    ⇒ If the EVAP I/M System Status indicator displays NO turn OFF the ignition for 17 hours, ensure that the vehicle meets the conditions for a cold start, and repeat steps 12-18 six more times, or until the EVAP I/M System Status indicator transitions to YES. If the indicator continues to display NO, refer to the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) System DTC Table to identify the DTCs that did not run. Follow the Conditions for Running the DTC in order to set the EVAP I/M System Status indicator
    ⇒ If any of the I/M System Status indicators display NO, refer to the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) System DTC Table for the indicator which did not display YES. The I/M System DTC Table identifies the DTCs associated with each I/M System Status Indicator. Follow the Conditions for Running the DTC in order to set the associated status indicator.
    Last edited by RedHeartbeat; 04-22-2012 at 08:08 PM.

+ Reply to Thread