+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help! I'm a moron with money!

Whats wrong with the LQ4? You have to realzie that the LS motors arent like the old SBC and need a rebuild every 90k miles . I had over 230k miles on my 5.3 when I pulled the heads to replace the lifters the cylinder walls still had factory crosshatching. The only thing "wrong" with the motor was some carbon build up on the pistons and in the combustion chambers of the heads.

Also the cost of a rebuild wont be as high as you think its gonna be. Unless there is something MAJOR wrong in which case you could probably find another pull out in a junkyard for less than the cost.

I think 6.0/80e is gonna be your best bet. There is a reason that GM stopped putting the big block in the 3/4 ton trucks and started using the 6.0.
    T-RAV
    99 GMC | 5.3 | Skinny White Guy Tuned

As far as the transmission wiring, the pre 95 trans. has one less wire than the 95 1/2 and up. You would have to get the newer internal trans. wiring harness, and a pwm solenoid should come with the harness. Then the transmission would have to be tuned with a 95 base tune, I did this to my Firebird and it works perfect.

I almost forgot you also have to run the extra wire from the ecm down to the 13 pin transmission plug.

The older trans wiring will work and it's not possible to start with a '95 trans calibration when the setup needs a newer PCM.
    The older trans will work and some have done it with a 2002 PCM controlling it.
    I can't remember the details on the pinout but we tuned a few.
    Tuning side u simply make the minimum tcc pressure maxed. That way there is no pwm just on/off.

As for ur truck. If the truck came with a 350 and u decide on the sixo. It's gonna be much stronger and tow much better with that sixo.

To answer ur question will the current stuff you bought work. yes it'll all work.
    Get you the correct harness that ran a 8.1 and 80e and install the big block and keep the 80e.

The sixspeed isn't gonna work unless you run a separate controller and those are typically around $1,000.

There is something about a bigblock and all the torque is produces.

What does pwm stand for?

PWM is Pulse Width Modulation.
    Basically the transmission goes by electrical hertz (cycles per second) instead of just on or off to determine what is happening.

Also, without seeing other people making the six speed work, I got cold feet and risked pissing off the wrecking yard owner by telling him I cannot use it. He was a little mad, but I am going to get the 454 and a 1997 4L80E. I know that combination works and I can make my old transmission hook up later.
    Thanks for all the help.

i know this is an old post but i was curious why your truck is going to get 2000 lbs heavier? planning on feeding it rockwells and 54's?

So I typed up a long response earlier but then hit "+ Reply to Thread" rather than "Post Quick Reply". Why is that a huge blue button and post is a small gray button!?
    So - as for the additional weight of the truck - there are/were a lot of additional plans. The big block added a couple of hundred pounds, not just from the size of the engine but also because the accessory mounts on the old 350 were aluminum and the 454 inexplicably has entirely iron accessory mounts. The 6L80E would save some weight (when I get around to it) but I was going to build a steering 14 bolt axle for the rear and I figure that would add approximately 100 pounds more. The addition of a second (iron) transfer case will add more still, I will be putting in a second tank, and so on and so forth. The addition of the steering rear axle will allow me to change the wheelbase from its current 168.5 to 200 inches. The truck's overall length will not be changing, but the frame obviously will be. It will be getting frame sliders that are diamond plate steel 1/4" thick. It's shaped about triangular with 12" top, about 10" down, and 2" parallel to the top. The top and bottom will be attached to the frame rails, making the last part of the (semi) triangular shape. Those at 165" will add a considerable amount of weight to the truck. The 165" is for 200" minus the 31" for a tire's diameter plus a few inches for steering movement. So that's the weight issue.
    As for the truck - well, the truck. Things are not going well with the truck. I have the 454 in and it runs, but that's about it. I have continued to dump funds into it to no avail, and right now it is sitting on my father's driveway pissing him off without a transmission or transfer case, among a host of other miscellaneous issues.
    I'll update more later when I am less upset over the state of things.

What's up with this truck now? I gotta ask, wth are you planning to do with it? Lol

I know I'm too late finding this thread, but your original combo could have worked well. There is a guy up north(pm for contact info) who designed 24x and 58x crank reluctors for early GM V8s. All your combo would've taken was a 58x crank signal and 4x cam signal and the engine could've been run by a Gen4 ECM which would be happy to play with a Gen4 TCM thru CAN, and could run your 6l80.

I have used his 24x reluctor to run a Tune Port SBC on a Gen 3 LS1 PCM and coil packs, worked great!

Anyways, hope the project is looking better!

+ Reply to Thread