+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help! I'm a moron with money!

Unhappy Help! I'm a moron with money!

So I am being told by everyone that I know that I have just wasted a large sum of money. I dropped some serious coin on a 2000 454 with 132K and a 2010 6L80E with 41K. The engine comes with the ECM and harness (engine only, not chassis) and the transmission comes with nothing but the torque converter. My friend that has swapped a 1999/2000 454 before did so with the entire harness, cats, key and all. The truck I am getting mine from doesn't even have the column anymore.
    So - did I do something really stupid here or is there a prayer of making it work together?
    This will all be going into a 1993 K3500 that currently has a TBI 350 and 4L80E. I know my 4L80E wouldn't work and I know that I need a 1996-1997 fuel pump. Aside from that I was going to ditch the cats and get a Nelson tune.
    Any thoughts on how to proceed? Is this impossible, possible but stupid, or are they making mountains of mole hills?

Hmmm yikes. Definitely some parts there that don't make it easy.
    The 454 engine will be controlled by a newer ECM and harness than your current 350 harness
    The 6L80e is totally different and will be a stand alone harness and separate tcm.
    Those two will not integrate.
    The current 4L80e is actually a closer match than the newer trans will work and shift just fine behind that 454.
    And use the same harness and PCM.

I personally would never go with a big block in that truck but it all can work out just fine with some knowledge and patience.

Maybe consider selling the 454 and getting a gen4 engine and hanress and the new trans will work just fine.
    If ur keeping the 454 then sale the 6l80e and use the 4l80e to keep things simple.

Just my opinion and preference and definitely stick with what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by farmtruc View Post
    Hmmm yikes. Definitely some parts there that don't make it easy.
    The 454 engine will be controlled by a newer ECM and harness than your current 350 harness
    The 6L80e is totally different and will be a stand alone harness and separate tcm.
    Those two will not integrate.
    The current 4L80e is actually a closer match than the newer trans will work and shift just fine behind that 454.
    And use the same harness and PCM.

I personally would never go with a big block in that truck but it all can work out just fine with some knowledge and patience.

Maybe consider selling the 454 and getting a gen4 engine and hanress and the new trans will work just fine.
    If ur keeping the 454 then sale the 6l80e and use the 4l80e to keep things simple.

Just my opinion and preference and definitely stick with what you want.
    Allen, have you done a 6l80e swap in an OBS yet? Seems as if it would be fairly straight forward, but I would like some insight on this if you have done it... just for future reference.

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

To keep things simple, I wouldn't want to run two separate controllers and harnesses for the engine and trans.
    The trans uses CAN protocol.
    It's not really straight forward, but very possible and doable.

Quote Originally Posted by farmtruc View Post
    To keep things simple, I wouldn't want to run two separate controllers and harnesses for the engine and trans.
    The trans uses CAN protocol.
    It's not really straight forward, but very possible and doable.
    I mean with complete Gen IV pullout, how hard could it be? If you had a GEN IV truck and an OBS side by side, getting the trans to work shouldn't be just outrageously difficult. I haven't seen anyone do it yet, but I would be interested to see how that panned out. I don't see why it wouldn't work if you had a Gen IV PCM and harness.

That's completely off topic, sorry to thread jack. I would honestly sell what you have and get a 6.0/4l80e combo.

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

Oh, ok. that's easy. Ya, done it. Everything goes in just like the gen3, just a different harness and you gotta electronic pedal.

engine, trans, etc, works just like it's supposed to.

actually gonna do another one on a '68 C10 (my new project i just got).

Admittedly the dual computer idea is not ideal, but would it work?
    I have a 2004 LQ4 (and 4L80E) already that needs a rebuild but includes what is I think a complete wiring harness and ECM, but no accessories. Between the accessories and the rebuild I thought it was going to be too much money for the result. I have been repeatedly told that my (now with the small block) 6,000 LB truck was a little on the heavy side for the Gen IV 6.0 and I would be better with the extra torque of the big block. Add to this that I may be increasing that weight to ~8,000 LBS or so. I wanted the 6L80E for the 4:1 first ratio and I want to keep overdrive, obviously.
    The truck is currently driving around with the TBI 350 / 4L80E but is losing oil pressure fast. I was told that if I went to a newer engine the transmission I have would not work. Something like the one I have is electronically just on/off and the newer (1996+) are PWM.
    My goals are a very low first gear automatic, stump pulling torque, multiport injection, and not a 350 or diesel. I now have a little less budget to work with because of this potentially stupid decision, but I want to know whether my idea is salvagable or should I just dump the parts and take the price cut as an expensive and quick education.

The 6.0 will do fine. Rebuild it with a few goodies and swap rearend gears if it
    doesn't have low ones already.
    2000 Chevy rcsb 5.3, 4L80E, 3.43 G80, P&P heads, Isky tripple 12, EFI LIVE

Turbo the 6.0 and keep 4l80e.

Yeah, I am thinking that I cannot afford to rebuild and turbo the motor. Also, I failed to specify earlier that I was talking about empty weight. Current empty is 6,000 going toward 8,000.
    What does forced induction really cost on the cheaper end of things. I mean, anyone who has rebuilt one of these knows that part is not cheap alone, but then to add forced induction seems like asking a lot.
    Also, anyone got any info regarding the trans issue (1993) and PWM on 1996+ models?
    I was really looking for help with what I got myself into more than I was looking for advice on a different combination.

+ Reply to Thread