+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reaction Sun Shell Wear

Reaction Sun Shell Wear

Long story short: my 4.8L has finally gotten the best of the 4l60e at 160k. Got a freebie 4l60e from and 03 silverado. Freebie came with problems. Decided to rebuild freebie, have torn apart, replaced all clutches and steels (measured stacks, all within .002" of specs). Now i'm down to the point where i start reassembling the rebuilt 4l60e. Only thing I am worried about is the reaction sunshell and the mating part which is the output sun gear for anybody who wants to know.

My question is, how can I tell if the shell is in need of replacement. To describe what I have now in terms of play or slop, the gear fits easily into the sunshell and all of the splines appear to be in great shape. The problem is that the two parts wobble around quite a bit. its is not a snug fit by any means. But the splines engage fairly well. Should I play it safe and get a new shell?

By the way, the reason I got the freebie spare trans was made apparent when I took the input drum apart to find that the 2nd gear clutches were all in good shape unless you figure in the fact that ALL of the teeth had been stripped out of them. Kinda like somebody spun this thing up to 4k and the threw it in park.

So to sum it up: should I replace the sun shell, or, are they all that loose?
    [IMG]https://images.app.goo.gl/XLfskemekXBo5VfS7/IMG]
    www.tjc.edu

Get the beast sun shell its a great upgrade.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

They all woble when inside the case. Put the planet in then put the snapring on then check it thats what holds it all in place. Without it all together it moves frelly side to side. If the teeth are not wore then its ok. But on other hand ur their and the sunshell is 60 week point that and the forward sprag. I would recomend the borg warner double race sprag for sure

Get beefier sprags for sure. And the Gm heat treated sunshell or the beast sunshell is a very good upgrade. If sun gear and shell have no galling or pitting on the splines and look good then its fine. That little bit of play with it apart is normal.
    2002 ECSB 2WD 5.3
    1995 Formula Firebird 383 LT1
    1984 Camaro 408 SBC

Most sports require one ball, motocross requires two.

Racing isn't a matter of life and death, it's much more important than that.

This particular transmission is the later style 4l65-ish. It has 4 pinion planetaries and the sunshell has a torrington bearing to support it which is supposed to solve the spline-hulling-outedness. The mating parts look to be in excellent shape. By the wear on the clutch packs alone I would venture a guess that would put this transmission somewhere around 30k before the 2nd input clutches were stripped out. So all of the hard parts are in great shape.
    [IMG]https://images.app.goo.gl/XLfskemekXBo5VfS7/IMG]
    www.tjc.edu

My torrington sun-shell in my 4L65e stripped the teeth off where it splines to the sun gear. Replaced it with a beast and no problems since. I'd upgrade while you have it apart. Relatively cheap part.

Where is a good place to buy all these recommended parts?
    "ALisSa1 Silverado"
    1990 Chevrolet RCSB 2002 Chevrolet Camaro LS1/4L60E
    Scrimpin Ain't Easy
    ( . Y . )

I buy mine through transtar in dallas but you can get them through transmissioncenter.net, my backup supplier when I want to save a few bucks.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

+ Reply to Thread