+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Popping noise while taking off and stopping

Popping noise while taking off and stopping

I am getting a popping noise while taking off and stopping. The sound is coming from the front and not the rear. All the U-Joints are brand new, and I know that it is not the steering shaft. Front shocks are also brand new and tight. There is also new wheel bearings all the way around too. I don't know where else to look, I also brought it into a shop and had them tighten all the front end components up but the sound is still there. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by black04z71; 02-24-2012 at 12:12 AM.

Check the lash on the rear end, check the front CV shafts. Check ball joints and wheel bearings for play.

Also check the axle bearings in rear, that was what went wrong in mine.

Check your cv joints.

Look to your front drive shaft. there is the problem somewhere.

If it is a 2 body driveshaft take it out and grease it in the spines.

Try to use grade 2-3 white silicon grease.

If it is not a 2 piece DS, then check the u joints .

Cv joints must also be responsible if the inner parts are thorn.

Good luck on your quest.

Thanks guys! I will be checking my CV joints on monday after work as I don't have a place big enough where I live to tear it apart. Today after driving around a bit it really felt like my cv joints are about shot. When I make turns it feels like the front is dragging like it does in 4 wheel drive even though I was in 2 wheel drive, and I could hear the boots on the CV joints normally I can't hear them. I also know that the front is disconnected from 4 wheel drive. The u joints are all brand new so I know it's not them.

Well I got it fixed cv joints were good. The brake pads were shifting in the caliper when braking and then shifting again after I let off the brakes. There is a tin piece that the pads slide on just bent that alittle bit and it does not make anymore noises. Might see if I can get a new tin piece.

It sounds like its your body mounts. Easy fix. Lift body off frame one side at a time to remove body mounts. Apply some anti seize and tighten back down. Also check your intermediate steering shaft they always pop

+ Reply to Thread