+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My remanufactired longblock

Got a remanufactured longblock- need help

Hello everybody.
    Got my remanufactured longblock today, and have a few questions.
    1. I know there isn't a distributor with these engines, but when I start transfering my electrical parts to the reman. engine (sensors,etc), do I need to do anything special to the reman. block to install these parts? Do I have to have #1 cylinder at TDC when I'm installing these sensors and such?
    2. Do I need any special locktite for the exhaust manifold bolts, intake bolts, any bolt that threads into the block? My block is cast iron (truck engine).
    3. Should I buy my new gaskets from the dealer or somewhere else?
    4. Where is the best place to buy a manual for this engine? Need it for the future in case I have problems or for maintenance.
    5. In case I want to paint the block, where to go for paint?
    6. I think I've asked enough for now, but if I've forgotten something or if you know something that I need to do with this engine, let me know.
    Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by HRV-LS1; 02-16-2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: SPELLING

Plug everything in and go. As soon ans you crank it over, the PCM is going to know exactly where everything is because of the crank and cam signal. Anti-seize would be a nice touch on the exhaust manifold bolts. Manual's I use AllData. Online manual. Paint it with bbq paint if you want black.
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

Thanks for the info on the plugging everything in. Is there a manual I could buy (book)? Never did an engine swap,ever. This is a little overwhelming. Would I be able to get by with a Chilton or Haynes manual, or buy the $135 one that the pros use? Thanks.
    Last edited by HRV-LS1; 02-16-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Got another question, how do you oil prime a remanufactured longblock?

Here's how I primed my engine after I put it together and put it in. Dumped the oil down over the rockers. Removed fuel pump relay. Turned it over. It'll be put together with assembly lube, and you should get oil pressure within 20 seconds. Put the relay back in, fire it up.
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

That's an interesting way of priming this type of engine.

There is other ways to do it, fancy pumps and what not. But my way worked just fine for mine.
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

fill the filter full of oil before installing it. Take the allen plug out the driver side front of the block and pour oil into the passageways until it won't take any more and put the plug back in. If you have access to the oil pressure gauge location you can pour oil in there too. Definitely pull the plugs and crank until you have good pressure.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

I did mine like Devon. But without spark plugs. Thinking no compression and force on the bearings..worked so for on 2 forged and one basic rebuild..
    Slowest in Oklahoma...

Thanks gentlemen for all the good information. RedHeartBeats sounds like something I'll try. Thanks again. One other thing, when installing the oil pan or front timing cover, do I need any RTV sealant for these areas? Do I need any RTV sealant for when I'm putting the old parts back to the reman. block?

+ Reply to Thread