+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 93 GM 1/2 ton 5.7 to 6.0L LS1

93 GM 1/2 ton 5.7 to 6.0L LS1

I have a 1993 GMC C1500 Sierra with a 5.7L V8. The truck is almost all stock except for the stereo and the muffler. Saw a tech article on swapping a 6.0L out of a 04 Escalade into an 85 blazer. Did some research and I've pretty well decided on a 6.0L LS1 out of a GM 3/4 ton around 2004 since the transmission should bolt up fairly easily. The 04 uses a 4L80E. My truck has a 4L60E but also came out with an available 4L80E.
    My question, since this is the first time I've done this and I am not a gearhead as much as I would love to be, I am planning to get the motor and what parts I can from a pull-a-part not far from home. I also talked to a close friend of mine who knows several mechanics in my area that could help me with the swap as I want to do it myself but require instruction.
    1. What parts will I need from the newer truck besides the block?
    2. Are there any parts that would be better purchased aftermarket?
    3. What problems might I encounter bolting it up to my existing 4L60E?
    4. What other parts will I possibly have to consider for my truck to handle the new engine? (Along the lines of torque converter, rear end, any other parts I may be overlooking)

I'm not doing this for several months and am trying to research it very thoroughly before makign any decision. Because even if I don't do the swap, I can still get decent power by upgrading the stock 350. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Get everything that is attached to the engine if possible. Starter,ac,power steering ,ext. Your 4l60 will bolt up but the pins or electronics will be different. Get the trans with the engine if possible, otherwise you can rewire your trans. You can order a stand alone harness or get the one off the doner truck if you feel like you can rearrange it so it works with your truck. I am in the process of converting a 92 silverado this spring. All the info I gave you has been gathered since Thanksgiving this is my first swap and I know there is more to cover but I haven't got there yet.

Okay. What else might need to be replaced if I install the 4L80E from the donor?

You'll have to move your trans support crossmember around since the 80E is longer. Get the correct pin-out for the connector and when you have the PCM tuned let the tuner know what year and trans it is. Driveshaft length will need to be adjusted a couple inches.

If you do keep your 60 make sure and let the tuner know so they can disable the partial lock-up function. Otherwise you'll smoke your converter very quick. The newer ones have a carbon clutch to deal with all the slippage. I actually hate the partial lock-up and have it tuned out anyways.
    Last edited by 88RCLB; 01-25-2012 at 03:07 PM.
    88 RCLB: LS swap in progress
    00 CCLB
    03 Yukon Denali: Wife's "soccer mom mobile"

Okay. The 04 escalade is equpped to run with a 60. Woukd there still be difference using my stock 60? And would the carbon clutch cross over or is it available aftermarket?

Quote Originally Posted by 88RCLB View Post
    You'll have to move your trans support crossmember around since the 80E is longer. Driveshaft length will need to be adjusted a couple inches.
    I could be mistaken but I believe if you get the Dirty Dingo adjustable mounts you can avoid doing either of these steps. I just ordered a set for my swap they are on sale for like $100.

Oh, okay. Thanks for the tip. I'l definetely keep that in muind if I do go withthe 80 instead. But I
    ve looked at it and depending on teh make and model, the motor I'm looking for could bolt up to either a 60 or 80 deopending on model. Which is a better option? stay with my current 60E rewire it and take out the partial lock up or just upgrade to te 80E?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel37 View Post
    Oh, okay. Thanks for the tip. I'l definetely keep that in muind if I do go withthe 80 instead. But I
    ve looked at it and depending on teh make and model, the motor I'm looking for could bolt up to either a 60 or 80 deopending on model. Which is a better option? stay with my current 60E rewire it and take out the partial lock up or just upgrade to te 80E?
    The 80e is a much better trans. You get a little more parasitic horsepower loss throught the drivetrain but its not much. You cant build a 60e to be near as strong as a 80e.

Oh, okay. How much of a parasitic loss?
    And this probably sounds like a stupid question, but by swapping in the LS, is it possible to convert my OBDI to OBDII system in order to tune it with a programmer?

I am getting ready to start my 5.3 swap into my 1994 silverado. Like you, i have the 1st gen 4L60E. I was told with these trans we need a different flexplate to adapt to the newer engines. I believe it was because of the shorter torque converter bolts.

+ Reply to Thread