+ Reply to Thread

Thread: knock sensor

knock sensor

I have 1999 GMC Seirra 1500 5.3 sle and the serice engine light came on. i check the obd and it said it was my knock sensor number 2. Question, is it tough to do. Question 2 i went to auto zone and they couldnt get it anyone know were to get it, or is a dealer only thing.

thanks josh

i have bought them at oreillys before. they arent the easiest thing to do but its not too bad. you have to remove the intake.
    PERFORMANCE-TUNING-FABRICATION
    12617 FM 917
    Alvarado, TX 76009

be sure that when you do replace them that you don't put loctite on them and 100% for sure use a torque wrench when tightening so you don't screw them up or get errant readings. If you had corrosion on your old sensor connectors or harness get a new knock sensor harness from the dealer.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

got mine off ebay, knock sensors and harness.
    5.3 2wd upgrades: Nelson tune, stainless lt's, magnaflow, e-fans, msd's, cai.

They have it at Autozone, they just weren't looking it up right (big surprise) Part # SU1282

sweet thanks yeah he kept saying its was a delaer part possibly

What causes them to go out. Ive replaced mine twice and getting ready to be a 3rd time tomorrow ive done it in the past 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by whitelightin05 View Post
    What causes them to go out. Ive replaced mine twice and getting ready to be a 3rd time tomorrow ive done it in the past 2 years
    Moisture causes the sensors to corrode. The stock rubber boot doesn't adequately seal the hole they are in, water gets in and can't evaporate out.
    When you replace the sensors clean the holes really well, then dry them out using alcohol. Seal the boots with RTV and I always remove the foam pieces at the ends of the intake.

+ Reply to Thread