+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: my official build thread

The plan was to run the pipe lower but when it came to building it, it would have just been way too many bends to do that. Its a way more direct route going this way. And David, I'm untreated too. I hear that exhaust wrap works really well and my engine bay has so much air flow with no fender Wells and a lot of plastic crap removed. It always seems to run very cool and I hope it'll be fine. And yea this mild steel did rust fast but its just surface rust, it'll come right off with a 3m pad. Should I use bbq paint or header paint?

04 RCSB 5.3, Homemade 80mm FM, TU1, TH400

Quote Originally Posted by o2camaross View Post
    The plan was to run the pipe lower but when it came to building it, it would have just been way too many bends to do that. Its a way more direct route going this way. And David, I'm untreated too. I hear that exhaust wrap works really well and my engine bay has so much air flow with no fender Wells and a lot of plastic crap removed. It always seems to run very cool and I hope it'll be fine. And yea this mild steel did rust fast but its just surface rust, it'll come right off with a 3m pad. Should I use bbq paint or header paint?
    I used black tractor paint on my hotside parts, and if it were me, I would wrap those exhaust manifolds, and wrap them tight. It will create more heat then you realize and IATs will definitely suffer. So paint them, wrap them, and get maybe even a toggle switch for your high e fan setting if you are sitting at a light.
    1951 3100
    1984 C10

Camera man here! I'm going to make a good vid with in-cab footage as well as some drive bys or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ducky View Post
    I used black tractor paint on my hotside parts, and if it were me, I would wrap those exhaust manifolds, and wrap them tight. It will create more heat then you realize and IATs will definitely suffer. So paint them, wrap them, and get maybe even a toggle switch for your high e fan setting if you are sitting at a light.
    Thanks David, will do

How much has building the hot pipes cost you if you dont mind me asking?

I wonder if turning the turbo a little, or possibly moving it lower, would make taking the crossover lower than the charge pipe easier?
    T-RAV
    99 GMC | 5.3 | Skinny White Guy Tuned

all my pipes including the hot pipe, downpipe and cold pipe was $200 to my door. That doesnt include the merge or the flange. I cant drop it any more bc of the frame rail

Thats a damn good price!
    How big is your downpipe? Looks like you could probably fit a 5" DP with all the room you have!
    Makes me think about building my own kit also....

I didnt even think about the stupid frame getting in the way. Probably would be counter productive anyway...if it goes too low then you risk ruining it with the elements and could have trouble with oiling and what not.
    T-RAV
    99 GMC | 5.3 | Skinny White Guy Tuned

Exactly. I only have a 3" dp for now bc the outlet on the Turbo is 3" but I may build another one

i expect you IATS to be very high with that crossover near that charge pipe
    2002 Lightning - GT headed 5.5Litre w/ Twin 7665s
    2002 Silverado - 427Lsx w/ Twin gt4202s
    2010 Silverado crewcab Z71 - 5.3litre w/ procharger
    2000 Wrangler - 5.3litre with some stance
    2014 Xsport- 3.5 Eco boost
    412 Motorsports

it ain't that I'm too big to listen to the rumors, It's just that I'm too damn big to pay attention to 'em..That's the difference

Even with a few layers of wrap on the crossover and possibly wrap on the charge pipe?

+ Reply to Thread