+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: my official build thread

my official build thread

Well after starting many threads and doing lots of research I started my turbo build a few months ago. I didnt want to start a thread when i started the build because i didnt want it to be like 3 months long. Anyway here we go. My truck is an 04 rcsb 5.3 with basic boltons, nelson tune, rebuilt 60e, 3600 circle d, homemade traction bars, 4.10s and trutrac, HSW wet kit, and some weight reduction. With this setup I ran a best of 13.4 on motor and 12.2 with a 150 shot. I originally planned to just make a wicked NA build but after seeing so many successful and big power builds I decided to go over to the darkside and go turbo. I dont have the money to do a kb or a trick kit and still be able to afford the supporting mods so I decided to build my own kit. I had the help of two of my friends, one is my roommate, Ren, who has a pretty sick 02 camaro and the other is Nick, who is member DSCZ71. Im on a budget so its kind of a budget build but i didnt skimp on too much. I heard a lot of good things about the on3 performance turbos so i went with a 76mm with 1.0 ar exhaust and an on3 60mm wastegate. I had to decide whether to do a log style setup or a flipped manifold setup and I figured the flipped manifold would be easier and better suite my needs. I had stock manifolds from several vehicles, my truck, my old 02 camaro, my 2010 camaro and my buddy's 04 gto and the headers from the 02 camaro worked perfectly. We then went to lowe's and bought some pvc pipe and an assortment of fittings to do a mock up so I know what bends i need.

I then bought all my tubing from mandrel-bends.com and started building.
    We then started on the cold side which was pretty easy, just a few cuts and one weld
    Here is where the wastegate is mounted, I know its not optimal but i think it will work

I had a couple of weeks where I didnt really do anything because I was a little low on money, but when I went home for Thanksgiving break I gave what I had to my buddy Dillon to tig it up. Over the break I made a pretty big order from Speed Inc and from RPS. I just want to note that the guys at Speed Inc and Rob at RPS were extremely helpful and great to do business with. I would highly recommend them to anyone. From speed inc I ordered LS9 head gaskets, LS2 timing chain, oil pan gasket, PRC dual springs, TU1 turbo cam, pushrods, LS7 lifters, Melling oil pump, ARP head studs, ARP rod bolts, fuel rails and 80lb injectors. And from RPS; 50mm BOV, EV1 fuel injector connectors, exhaust wrap, screw in IAT sensor and bung, vbands, flex for crossover, oil feed and return lines, manual boost controller, vacuum hose, magnafuel fpr and gauge, breather tank and -12 hose and fittings and weld-on bungs for the valve covers. I got back here on Monday and started doing a little more work. The stuff from RPS came in tuesday and I got the pipes back on tuesday as well, so I added the flex joint, the vband and built the downpipe. Which all is now being tiged.

Yesterday I started tearing down the engine to get it ready for the engine work

I also pulled the bed off to work on the fuel system.

Last edited by o2camaross; 12-02-2011 at 12:07 AM.

04 RCSB 5.3, Homemade 80mm FM, TU1, TH400

I have an external pump left over from a fuel injected 502 chevelle build my dad and I did a few years back so I am going to use that. I had to modify the bucket to work and I think it will work just fine. I removed the intank pump and all the evap crap. The feed line is -8 and the copper tubing in the pics is 1/2'' ID. I will be using the factory feed as my return.

I still need to buy the -8 feed hose, the fittings and the filter.
    Here is a pic of the intercooler with the grille on. Its pretty stealthy. The intercooler is off a burnt up 800 rwhp camaro so it should do just fine

I would like to thank Allen, Quik and anybody else who helped me. I really appreciate all the info and the patience. I think that is all I have for now, but I will update this whenever I get something done. Hope yall like it!!
    Last edited by o2camaross; 12-02-2011 at 12:06 AM.

That's a wild looking turbo kit man! Nice job.

braver than me dude looks like its gonna come out good though,
    THEY CALL ME G.

AZRAEL
    01 GMC REG CAB BUILDING
    06 SILVERADO SS 80E 3200 YANK LS3 TOP, DD
    2013 POLARIS RANGER CREW LE EPS

The difference between winning and losing, is having a 2nd stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by A PATRIOT View Post
    "MOLON LABE"

Looks awesome!! Doin header wrap later? I love the wrapped style looks BEEFY!! Like a 7 layer burrito!!!

Getta could idle and driving clips soo!!

CONGRATS TOO BTW!
    Last edited by Crazy Blu; 12-02-2011 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Forgot to ask my question

Thanks guys. Yea I bought 100 feet of 2" black wrap for it. Plan to check for leaks, paint it then wrap it. And G, how am I braver than you?? Don't you just take your whole truck apart just for fun??

Nice work so far!

What kept you from running the driver side exhaust lower in the front of the motor with a littler sharper bends? What size DP? Looks very trick. I like where you mounted the turbo
    Slowest in Oklahoma...

Looks sick! I am interested to see what kind of underhood temps you will see with that crossover there
    1951 3100
    1984 C10

Good looking build! Should be one hell of a ride! Damn it didn't take long for that pipe to start rusting!

MY TRUCK IS A HYBRID!!! IT BURNS GAS AND RUBBER....
    2011 GMC CCSB
    Flaco Tune, CAI, Muffler
    13.8 @100
    340hp 352tq

+ Reply to Thread