+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: engine startup and no oil pressure... NEED HELP!!!

engine startup and no oil pressure... NEED HELP!!!

i swapped a 6.0 into my 1500. and i got a comp cam and put that into it with comp valve springs also. and put a summit double roller timing chain set on it. and when i got it into the truck and started it. it makes a aweful noise when it starts just sounds loud. and then it says no oil pressure. i only had it running 5 to 10 seconds at most. just wondering what i should do to check if somethings wrong or if oil just hasent got thru the engine yet. let me know what you guys think!!!! THANKS

Since u didn't touch anything near the oil pressure sending unit or gauge cluster doing this job, I'd assume it's the oil pump and tear it back down immediately. Did the double roller have different selections for cam advance and retard?

U didnt describe the noise as being clatter, grinding, squeeling or whatever. How'd it sound?

If u really only let it run for 15secs with no oil pressure nothing got hurt.

Id put a new oil pump on it and. BE sure it's installed correctly.

Also. Not really noise related but a cam bearing could have fallen out, that would cause low oil pressure

Bet it's the o-ring on the pickup
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

it just it a loud grinding i guess would be the word. but i think im gonna check that o ring and then get a oil pump just to be safe. i dont want to do any damage to the motor. and if i try to start it more im afraid i will. where is the o ring located??? on the pickup in the pan??? Thanks guys!!

The o-rin is on the pickup where it goes into the pump. They're a fairly fickle thing, you have to be careful with them
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

Makes sure pump is center on crank. Very important. And make sure double roller clears the back of the pump.

It took my 6.0L 5-10 seconds to build oil pressure when I swapped it in. Try pulling the spark plugs and unplug the injectors and cranking it over to see if it builds pressure, unless you have reason to believe its a bad pump or o-ring.
    Big slow mud truck with a TUNE!!!!!!

man, that grinding noise that you described scares me. I would first check to make sure the timing chain clears the oils pump and the timing cover. If it does, then pull the cam out and get a flash light and look into the engine via the cam hole, make sure you can see that all 5 cam bearings are still in. If all that is ok, then put it back together very carefully and make sure the cam timing is correct. spin it over by hand and make sure you dont feel any bind up. look at the journals on the cam when you take the cam out and make sure you dont see any wear marks

04 RCSB 5.3, Homemade 80mm FM, TU1, TH400

for a double roller you have to modify the front cover, well at lease i did a mellon pump will hit it where the front seal is, check and make sure you didnt crack it

its always good to pull ignition relay and fuel fuse so it wont fire off, turn engine over 5 seconds at a time to build oil pressure..
    Simple: 408 on steroids!
    single digits coming soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    The o-rin is on the pickup where it goes into the pump. They're a fairly fickle thing, you have to be careful with them
    This is what im thinking. Its what happened to my 6.0 when i swapped it in my old truck. engine sat with no oil for too long and the o ring dry rotted. Put new o ring on, problem fixed immediately.
    2006 extended cab, 6.0 swap, full bolt ons SOLD
    2011 ECSB, 6.2, 6 spd, 3.73, 5" lift, 33" nitto, limo tint, debadged, volant CAI, muffler delete, black bear tune 14.0 @ 98 on the 33'sSOLD
    2007 TBSS AWD, cam, stall, built trans, N2OSOLD
    2006 RCSB cammed LQ9, full exhaust, 3200 stall, 2-4 drop
    Quote Originally Posted by farmtruc View Post
    "if i have to explain, you don't get it"

49 Ford F1
    355 chevy / turbo 350 / 12 bolt posi / camaro subframed

+ Reply to Thread