+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: cleaning inside of header

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    Black sugar is very good hard to knock down.

Instead of using grinder from here on forward, pick yourself up another tank of argon. Cap off all openings and Insert a hose routed from the extra tank of argon. This is back purging and set regulator to about 22-25.

Doing this will prevent black k sugar and your inside of weld will look identical to the outside.

Also try not using So much heat. Welding light gauge stainless doesn't require alot of heat. On 16ga I set machine to about 48 as my high.anything higher then this you'll notice brownish welds.
    Yep. Purge it.

Ya I read that article on purging the tube as well. I do that but what I'm interested in is obtaining a tool to knock down the inside. It's gonna happen regardless, so back on topic. What's the best tool to clean them up?

seen a youtube video of a company showing off their bits and they cleaned headers.. Of I find it ill post... Would work great for you and it was a kit with all different types bits...

I lie it wasnt on youtube now I remember it was that stacy dude on gears I think is his show... Ill look there because like I said its perfect for what you need... Be made some manifolds look killer!
    Last edited by Crazy Blu; 10-22-2011 at 02:10 AM.

its going to be hard to get all of it out of there especially the smaller tubes. Ive in the past have used nuts and bolts and shook them inside to help free up some loose debris. AS for purging if properly done you wont have any black sugar. It does work as when we did stainless for a food processing plant we needed to have all our tubing perfect or we risked contamination of the food going thru it. Less heat also helps cut back on black sugar. Try practicing on scrap and try using less heat and place the tungeston as close to the tube as possible to help reduce the need for so much heat. You can get full penetration with less heat if technique is there along with having flat welds
    Quote Originally Posted by farmtruc View Post
    Ya I read that article on purging the tube as well. I do that but what I'm interested in is obtaining a tool to knock down the inside. It's gonna happen regardless, so back on topic. What's the best tool to clean them up?
    also exhaust isnt as important to back purge as cold side is very important and any type of hot pipes all should be back purged unless youre able to properly control the heat!!!!!!
    2002 Lightning - GT headed 5.5Litre w/ Twin 7665s
    2002 Silverado - 427Lsx w/ Twin gt4202s
    2010 Silverado crewcab Z71 - 5.3litre w/ procharger
    2000 Wrangler - 5.3litre with some stance
    2014 Xsport- 3.5 Eco boost
    412 Motorsports

it ain't that I'm too big to listen to the rumors, It's just that I'm too damn big to pay attention to 'em..That's the difference

A wheel cylinder brake hone should work. It has a flex shaft and the stones are spring loaded to fit the area.
    2006 Superior Blue Trailblazer SS AWD, Stock as a rock

Sold: 2002 GMC Sportside Denali front end with a 2002 LS1, FLT level 5, Yank 2600, Trick Turbo, T76, Nelson intercooler, 60LB injectors, Warbro fuel pump, Eaton locker, Magnaflow, 3.42, Nelson Performance Tuning (speed density).

Sold: 1981 GMC LB RC 1500 2002 4.8L 4L60E 12 bolt 3.73 Richmond Lock Right AC PS Nelson Performance tuning

something like these should do the trick. http://www.mcmaster.com/#hones/=eloxzp
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

This is want you need

http://www.travers.com/product.asp?R...1%3D53-605-017

and a assortment of flapper wheels

Also a long 1/4" dia. extension shaft to lengthen the reach for you air grinder when using the above.

thanks for the suggestions and links.

+ Reply to Thread