+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1983 C10 LWB 6.2 diesel to LQ4 6.0L and 4l80e swap

1983 C10 LWB 6.2 diesel to LQ4 6.0L and 4l80e swap

I've been lurking for a while, but after lots of fighting with the 6.2 diesel in my '83 C10, I decided that it's time for a 6.0 swap.

Last weekend I picked up an '05 LQ4 and 4l80e with 75k miles on it and complete with computer and harness. It came from a local body shop that bought the truck to swap the sheet metal onto a rolled 4x4. The body shop pulled a few pieces to replace what was damaged on the other truck, including the accessory drive system, the throttle body, the coils and a couple spark plug wires, and 1 injector. I'm not too bothered about the tb, as I was considering switching to a cable throttle body, but I'll need to replace the rest.

The truck has dual tanks, which I'd like to keep, a th350 tranny, and does not have A/C, which should make the swap a little easier.

I've been wanting do do a LS swap for years now, and I guess it's time!
    Last edited by Box; 10-13-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: more info

I would keep the DBW TB, just get the pedal, TAC and harness from the donor truck. Stock DBW throttle bodies for a 04 are a dime a dozen, same with the injector.

Good luck, post up some pics!

Quote Originally Posted by PitchBlackC3 View Post
    I would keep the DBW TB, just get the pedal, TAC and harness from the donor truck. Stock DBW throttle bodies for a 04 are a dime a dozen, same with the injector.

Good luck, post up some pics!

Here's a couple of pics, as purchased. I need to get matching rims and tires for it, as well as some factory hubcaps.

I got the diesel running again today, only to have it refuse to start an hour later! This truck is starting to sour me on diesels.

I read up today on cable tb swaps. They look pretty work and wiring intensive. I guess I'll look around and see which I can find.

Is it absolutely necessary to have a baffled tank for the fuel pump swap, or will a normal gasoline fuel tank work?

Tim
    Attached Images

A running 6.2 will sour you on diesels!

The factory 88-98 tanks didn't have baffles in them, so I think you would be good as long as you get good pick up. Look into the tank/sending unit for a 87 TBI truck. That should work well with an upgraded pump for the higher fuel pressure.

Here's the LQ4 and 4L80e

They're pretty dusty, but the picture makes them look even worse!

This going to be a good little project.
    "ALisSa1 Silverado"
    1990 Chevrolet RCSB 2002 Chevrolet Camaro LS1/4L60E
    Scrimpin Ain't Easy
    ( . Y . )

+ Reply to Thread