+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1995 suburban 8.1L swap?

1995 suburban 8.1L swap?

ok, so i really want to swap a 496ci 8.1L into our 1995 chevy suburban 2500 454 tbi 4l80e, and 4x4. from everything i have read it will bolt rite in with no mods the the engine mounts, frame, or trans. how true is this? i know it will need a new ECU, wiring harness, and all of the wiring. also, how hard is it to swap the dash to a slightly newer year? (probably a 1997 dash? all though i would rather newer) and is it possible to do the entire engine swap and rebuild the trans, transfer case, and differentials for under $5,000? i'm doing most the work my self, so it shouldn't be to bad. i am looking at buying a used engine, and striping it down to the block, and i have talked to a ton of old school hot rodders, and know how to get TONS of power and keep most of the engine internals. all the interior lights will work, rite? what about the fuel pump? will the old 454 pump work, or will i need a new one? would all of the old AC controls still work? would 15MPG be a realistic MPG goal? does anyone know how hard it would be to swap a late model escalate or denali seats in it? i'm not doing any upgrades that don't help the MPG's, either way, it only 9MPG rite now, so it can only get better, rite? also my father is SUPER light on the gas pedal (he will be mostly the only person driving it)... i have heard a lot about some marina parts? can someone enlighten me on that? is it a different engine all together, or just computer parts?

we are buying and selling tons of cars soon so will be towing trailers on a weekly basis, that's the reason for more then doubling the power in our truck (not saying much, the TBI454 only has 235hp, but 420tq...)

sorry for the million questions, but i want to know what im getting into. im only 15 and a half, but work on cars a ton, and this seems to be just about the easiest swap possible, and it would help a lot... plus its so much more power! lol

thanks

PS: looking to start this project ASAP.

hmm, would a duramax be an option? i mean, i will not have the cash to upgrade it, but you can pick up a remanufactured engine for 4500... will it bolt up to the 4l80e? i think it will... how hard would it be to do the engine mounts? would those bolt in also?
    Last edited by smithkid1996; 10-14-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Wow, have you considered getting a 3/4 ton diesel suburban instead? You will have way more torque, better fuel mileage and a longer lasting engine. I can't believe I'm going to say this but maybe consider the Ford Excursion diesel?
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

Quote Originally Posted by RedHeartbeat View Post
    Wow, have you considered getting a 3/4 ton diesel suburban instead? You will have way more torque, better fuel mileage and a longer lasting engine. I can't believe I'm going to say this but maybe consider the Ford Excursion diesel?
    well it takes loads of cash, i want to do EVERYTHING on the truck for under 10,000 (all though im sure interior work will set it over that). we bought the truck for 3700 (wich is DIRT CHEAP, its worth about 9,000) but still. and im not looking at doing everything at once, i more want to the engine work now, then do everything else in 9 months or so once i have a job. plus the excusion is just to long... and the excursion is lower to the grownd (we are useing the truck to pull cars from anywhere you could amagine) so if its higher off the ground, its better, and deisles are REALLY expensive if they break down. i will admit, i like diesel WAY more then gasoline, i actually want to go into the military to get experiance working on the diesel trucks so i can get a job in that industry fairly easily. it helps that i know people...

i would just do a 6.0, more common and parts are cheaper.

- dirty dingo makes motor mounts ( idk about the 8.1 though )
    - i used my factory radiator but you can swap one in from the donor truck
    - nelson performance for a harness and to send ur pcm to remove the vats ( security ) out of it http://www.nelsonperformance.com/products.htm#eh
    - walboro 255 in tank pump will work
    - you can update the dash to a 97/98 just takes some work http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthre...OBS)-dash-swap more threads like this just gotta look around
    - everything on the inside will still work the newer motor will work off a stand alone harness not tied into anything else but the gauges

also look here http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...onversion.html

8.1 imo is a waste of money 6.0 will be way more budget friendly for finding swap parts ect...

1989 RCSS 5.3/4L60E swap
    - 224/230 .581.591 112lsa,
    - 3200 Stall
    - DJM 4/6 drop
    - Nelson Tuned

Building the truck GM never did..

ok, how much would it take to build a 6.0L with 500HP and AT LEAST 500TQ? i think it will be more then 4000...

cheaper than a 8.1L would cost

1989 RCSS 5.3/4L60E swap
    - 3200 Stall
    - DJM 4/6 drop
    - Nelson Tuned

Quote Originally Posted by T-Stark View Post
    cheaper than a 8.1L would cost
    well, i can build out the 8.1L for under 4000 no problem, not so sure about the 6.0L.

alright you have fun with that one kid

1989 RCSS 5.3/4L60E swap
    - 3200 Stall
    - DJM 4/6 drop
    - Nelson Tuned

Quote Originally Posted by T-Stark View Post
    alright you have fun with that one kid
    im asking if we can build the 6.0L for 4000 with more power then the 8.1L?

yes the engine is way more common than the 8.1, more common means cheaper parts. 6.0 is in trucks, cars, and suvs... more parts can interchange and be more efficient. cam and a built top end 6.0 will be in the mid 4s with a good tune and thats well under 4 grand.

1989 RCSS 5.3/4L60E swap
    - 3200 Stall
    - DJM 4/6 drop
    - Nelson Tuned

+ Reply to Thread